Nosebleeds

rick_chasey
rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
edited December 2011 in Commuting chat
Had them every other day for the past two weeks.

Never a lot, but enough to be disturbing. It sounds stupid but I'm always surprised how red blood is...

Off to the doctor on Monday...

Comments

• Often a sign of anaemia, either that or you need to cut down on the Bolivian marching powder.
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    Have they only just started recently? Your boss been beating you again? If you've had a cold and have been blowing your nose a lot, you have have damaged blood vessels. Nose bleeds can also be a sign of high blood pressure!
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • rick_chasey
    Yeah, last two weeks or so.

No marching powder (I'm wound up enough as it is), and no colds - I'm pretty healthy.

Would be surprised if I was anaemic.
  • Can be a number of things tbh but i'd suggest not looking online/googling for what it can be. See the docs.
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • I have that problem few times in a year. Since I was a kid. Apparently its genetic :-\
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,773
    Used to happen to me a lot when I was younger. I seem to have grown out of it. I completely agree with MM that you should not look at t'interweb quackery. You might come across all sorts of lunacy. See the doc and get it properly checked out as you say.
  • rick_chasey
    Yeah it's reasonably unusual for me.

Noticed one I must have had in my sleep the other night - inside of nose was all encrusted with dark red flakes.
  • No idea why you're having yours but sure doc can advise. FWIW, used to happen to me a lot when I was a child - like at least twice a week, for months (and it'd bleed for over 30 mins each time). Eventually school took me to hospital and I had my nose blood vessels cauterised and no nose bleeds since, even when I subsequently broke my nose (twice). Result!
  • rick_chasey
    Yeah I know lil' kids get it.

Girl at my primary school I always remember walking around with blood red cheeks and chin.

I'm not quite a kid though!
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    common cause (which i had) was a ruptured blood vessel up my nose that didnt heal for a while meaning a few nose bleeds, stopped after a few weeks though

or your pregnant
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • rick_chasey
    mudcow007 wrote:
    ...or you're pregnant

Sh!t.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,773
    Congratulations, you be going over to the expectant parents thread?
  • My best mate used to get nose bleeds all the time. He would put bits of bread up his nose to soak up and stop the flow. Worked very well indeed. They were going to cauterise them but the month before he started being a blood donor and nose bleeds stopped. If he misses a donation appointment they come back. He claims he has too much blood.... :D

I once gave myself a nose bleed straining on the toilet..... :oops:
    '11 Cannondale Synapse 105CD - FCN 4
    '11 Schwinn Corvette - FCN 15?
    '09 Pitch Comp - FCN (why bother?) 11
    '07 DewDeluxe (Bent up after being run over) - FCN 8
  • rick_chasey
    fenboy369 wrote:
    :lol:
  • just checked NHS Direct - you have ebola
    trust me, I'm a doctor
    ..............................................................................................

"There is no such thing as an underestimate of average intelligence"
  • fenboy369 wrote:
    My best mate used to get nose bleeds all the time. He would put bits of bread up his nose to soak up and stop the flow. Worked very well indeed. They were going to cauterise them but the month before he started being a blood donor and nose bleeds stopped. If he misses a donation appointment they come back. He claims he has too much blood.... :D

You were lucky your eyes didn't pop out... ;-)

Does your mate gives blood through his nose then? :-D
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    fenboy369 wrote:
    My best mate used to get nose bleeds all the time. He would put bits of bread up his nose to soak up and stop the flow. Worked very well indeed. He fries them afterwards and they are delicious, like a cross between black pudding and croutons

:D
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Lupus?
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    itboffin wrote:
    Lupus?
    Quick, treat him for lupus so he almost dies, and then we realise it was actually the result of being scooped up by a helicopter gathering water to put out a forest fire.
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    No idea why you're having yours but sure doc can advise. FWIW, used to happen to me a lot when I was a child - like at least twice a week, for months (and it'd bleed for over 30 mins each time). Eventually school took me to hospital and I had my nose blood vessels cauterised and no nose bleeds since, even when I subsequently broke my nose (twice). Result!

Ooh, me too!
  • prj45
    prj45 Posts: 2,208
    I had the blood vessels in my nose cauterised years ago. I still occasionally get the odd bleed, but only after a really good pick.
  • DF33
    DF33 Posts: 732
    Me too, loads when young but grew out of it. My dad was the same so prob genetic here.
    Being a stalwart of the white schoolshirt tampon impression regularly the way I treated them was this;
    make a plug out of tissue paper or cotton wool, rolled between finger and thumb with a taper end so you can pull it out again.
    Push it up the bleeding nostril firmly so plugging it. This then lets the blood clot around it once it has soaked the plug.
    You can now carry on as normal instead of sitting there dabbing away with a tissue.
    Leave it for a good hour or two. Then gently remove. Sometimes it bleeds a little but usually the clot comes out with the plug and all is ok.
    Hospitals do this too.
    Remember not to blow your nose for a while after.
    Peter