OT - Bought a car

mudcow007
mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
edited December 2011 in Commuting chat
evening all

i bought a Vauxhall Signum about 2 weeks ago, i had to drive all the way to Great Yarmouth to pick it up. When i got there the near side head light was full of condensation. i mentioned this to the sales guy who said "it will clear in 10mins with the head lights on" cool i thought

anyway's, we drove home (over 4 hours) an had the headlights on for more than an hour an the condensation didn't clear up. when i got home i phoned the Vauxhall dealer we bought the car from who said that "i don't know why its not clearing up etc" an that was that's so i sent an email to Vauxhall just asking what i need to do. They literally just rang an said book it into a Vauxhall dealer an get the the dealer to give us a ring, we will get it sorted for you

woohoo!

i like vauxhall
Keeping it classy since '83

Comments

• Oh, I thought you got the Range Rover... ;-)
  • mudcow007
    medoramas wrote:
    Oh, I thought you got the Range Rover... ;-)

no i had to err get rid of it, it had a terrible back fire due to a foreign body stuck up the exhaust......
  • How did you find out I'm not from the UK????
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    If still under warranty then fine - if not watch out they don't charge you.

Condensation can be a poor seal on the bulb access ports, at worse the unit has a leak. If it's HID then best let the dealer sort it.
  • willy b
    willy b Posts: 4,125
    My Seat had this problem.

Basically it was a poor seal around the back on the headlight case. Simple fix, took the back case off to let air in, and teh condensation went. Failing that drill holes in the back cover if you don't want to completely remove it.
  • mudcow007
    cheers all

its suppose to be a common issue on mine and the Vectra which basically mine is based on. its because the washer bottle is right behind the light unit so any spilt water drops onto the seals at the back, there is a fix for it but some cars arn't fitted with it

i was thinking of sticking some silca packs in there to dry it up
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    Hairdryer on low, leave bulb ports off for a few days then re-fit.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    mudcow007 wrote:
    woohoo!

i like vauxhall

So you are pleased you bought a car with dodgy headlights? :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Fill the headlight with sand, it'll absorb the water.

This mechanic lark is easy!
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Torvid
    Torvid Posts: 449
    edited December 2011
    I'm surpised no one has suggested replacing said light with a chinese torch yet.
    Commuter: Forme Vision Red/Black FCN 4
    Weekender: White/Black - Cube Agree GTC pro FCN 3
  • Cheapest option would be to dump both headlights and replace them with Magicshines.
  • Suprised the salesman didn't try to convince you that they were flood lights. :roll:
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem