Need help replacing these two worn parts...

d3v
d3v Posts: 3
edited December 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi all, I'm renovating a friends old Puch Buckingham road bike and it needs (so far) a new rear wheel hub axle and a new bottom bracket. I've taken a photo of the parts along with size information and I need help sourcing suitable replacments, or similar parts that will work in their place for example could I use a modern sealed cartridge bottom bracket, maybe? please help if you can!
(please note my measurements are approximate give or take a mm or so)

shhaeffe46i2va2h8dt.jpg

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    LBS for a new bb with a suitable axle length. Ot axel if hey stock them.

New hub axel easy. Sorted.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Do you know what threads the BB takes? If you want a square taper cartridge BB to match, you know you need 127mm axle... but 68 or 73mm shell, Italian or English thread?

The hub axle could be quite common. But you need to know the thread pitch and diameter. Halfords used to stock many cromo axles, maybe match one.
  • d3v
    d3v Posts: 3
    hi and thanks for the replies. From doing research the bottom bracket must be 128mm rather than 127mm, so I was 1mm off! It is a square taper, and I think the thread is french, becuase I have noticed many of the bike's components says "made in france". The bike itself is a circa 1983 austrian-made road bike.

With regards to the hub axle.. will I have trouble finding one with that grove going down the length of the thread? Why is this grove even there?... if I'm not mistaken hub axles do not normally come with this seemingly odd groove down their length??

From looking at the halfords available axel's, the closest they have to what I need is 175mm length, which is 7mm longer than needed, but I could quite easily grind 3mm off each end no problem. I also notice halfords axles do not have the grove down the length of the thread. Is this grove even neccesary, also what is it's purpose?

I'm actually going to halfords tomorrow to pick up a park tool BBT22 bottom bracket removal tool as they going for peanuts at the moment, so if I could get a suitible axle there too, all the better!