Juicy 3 front brake problem!

GPierotti
GPierotti Posts: 104
edited December 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
i've had my bike for a year now, changed the 185mm rotor up to a 203 on the front for DH in France in the summer. Seemed fine, used it lots during my riding so when i got back i changed the rotor to a new one. Cant get the thing to stop rubbing now!

Pads have plenty of life left in them,

Just bled my brake (1 hour ago),

tried to center pistons, caliper and cleaned pads to see if it helped but nothing has worked!
It's driving me up the wall now!

ANY advice would be greatly appreciated as i have run out of ideas and tricks!

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    You have realigned he calliper?

And you have reset the calipers?

And you have let it all bed in?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Yes, Yes and No.

hate it rubbing and i'm alighly worried it wears the pads at an uneaven angle then makes it worse.

you reckon a wee run might help it?
  • baznav73
    baznav73 Posts: 111
    Did you bleed it with the pistons all the way back into the caliper.
  • yep did that
  • its sort of like as if the pads won't sit far enough back from the disc after it's centered, so no matter how i adjust the caliper it always rubs and slows the wheel down quite a bit.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Do your callipers have the Avid 3D alignement cones? If your not careful they allow the calliper to twist when trying to align it, I find I have to nip the 2 bolts up a tiny bit at a time or the calliper twists and doesn't sit 'square' to the disc (squeezing the lever hard doesn't help as the disc isn't stiff enough and bends).

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • it does yeah but not found that overly useful this time, i don't inderstand what is going wrong, i could stick a picture on if it would help?
  • Don't worry just ride and see what it's like after a couple of rides if it's not properly binding?
  • cheers, got it adjusted so it's not dire but it's not great, ill take it out for a couple of hours and see if it wears in better.
  • Ghostt
    Ghostt Posts: 192
    Did you fit the same brand/model of rotor when you replaced it? Could be the new one is a tad thicker, not giving the pads enough clearance.
    Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go - T.S. Eliot