Rapha sizing vs assos etc

gwillis
gwillis Posts: 998
edited December 2011 in Road buying advice
Mrs G is offering to buy me a rapha jersey for crimbo but im unsure on the sizing. Im 5"8 75kgs and around a 36 chest. In assos im a medium in the 851 airjack and the evo jacket and when i tried on the long sleeve merino jersey from rapha that came with cycling weekly the small fitted but was a little snug on the stomach and collar but fine on the shoulders. Is the medium much bigger? I prefer a racer fit and dont want to end up with a flappy jersey

cheers

Comments

• I'm 5' 7", 39" chest, 67 kilos and I wear Rapha medium in jerseys and jackets.
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    I'm 5-10,and a 39" chest, 74kg and use a Rapha M
    M.Rushton
  • gwillis
    gwillis Posts: 998
    cheers guys ive been given the cycling weekly rapha jersey which is great but will go for a medium off mrs g,

thanks for the heads up
  • graham_g
    graham_g Posts: 652
    Definitely come up larger - I think that's probably my main criticism of rapha is that they could do with sizes closer together as it's easy to find yourself 'between sizes' and left with the options of uber-restrictive skin tight (especially if you have big arms/shoulders) vs. too big and flappy. On that note, I could do with swapping my large rapha jersey (CW subs deal) with a medium.
  • With a 36 chest and 5ft8, I'm sure a medium will be too big, especially if you don't want a 'flappy jersey'.

By contrast I have a 39" chest and am 5ft9 and weigh 11.2 stone (about 71kg). I think the medium, whilst tight on my biceps are possibly a bit too loose on the body for my 'Mediums' whereas my small jersey's are very snug and probably about right - although losing an inch on my chest would be more ideal.