This forum

NickintheLakes
NickintheLakes Posts: 258
edited December 2011 in MTB beginners
Could I just say as a newbie here; what a great forum. Seems like a friendly place and it's packed with info'. Well done!

At the grand old age of 55 I am just returning to cycling following a 5 year stint back in the early 70's (Time Trials & Touring) and I remember the old wooden Herne Hill track very well (watching not participating) and then mid to late nineties MTB'ing on Marin/Alpinestars/Saracen (who made some really nice bikes back then). Sadly a climbing accident put paid to things for best part of a decade.

Looking to get back into things on a get fitter (I am quite fit for my age as I spend a lot of time in the mountains here in the Lake District) basis.

Not really wanting to do more than road/light trail work as I am a bit more aware of my mortality these days and my testosterone fueled suicidal tendancies were left behing about 30 years ago. :P

Things seem to have changed a lot in the last 10 years, in some ways there is more choice with bikes and in some ways less and the mag's seem to be full of downhill all the way articles/bikes - what happened to trail riding?

Nice to see that there are lots of guys and girls out there getting on with out-doorsy stuff.

Keep up the good work and thanks for making this an interesting place.

Comments

• Depends what mags you read, but DH is seen to be the most hardcore, and therefore the most fashionable. What's wrong with a good old woodland ride hey?

Most peeps on here do seem to be predominantly trail/XC riders.

Things have chnaged a lot in the last 10 years or so - more niches and better manufacturing down to the nth degree for intended use. But in most cases you'll not go wrong with a good quality XC bike that's a do most things well type of machine save for the extremes.

Happy riding.. Oldie ;-)
  • Happy riding.. Oldie

Oi!

Seriously though - I turned 55 yesterday on St Andrews day and whilst my body aches a bit more than it used to my head feels just the same (apart from being a bit moanier and cynical I guess) crikey the years have whipped by.

There I was in my twenties with a piece of paper in my hand that was a passport to fame and riches and here I am all semi-retired and financially ok (though not rich) a mere heartbeat later. :D

Life goes way too quick although older age seemed like it wasn't going to happen to me when I was young.
  • 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    Happy riding.. Oldie

Oi!

Seriously though - I turned 55 yesterday on St Andrews day and whilst my body aches a bit more than it used to my head feels just the same (apart from being a bit moanier and cynical I guess) crikey the years have whipped by.

There I was in my twenties with a piece of paper in my hand that was a passport to fame and riches and here I am all semi-retired and financially ok (though not rich) a mere heartbeat later. :D

Life goes way too quick although older age seemed like it wasn't going to happen to me when I was young.

Good lad!

At the young age of 41 Im just getting my jumping skills back like when I was mental on a bmx, get hold of a copy of MBUK or What Mountain Bike and also if I dare say it MBR.
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Or Privateer...

Funny though, the mainstream mags seem to be lurching a bit more towards DH, meanwhile Dirt is getting all obsessed with enduro which is, basically, normal bike riding with a stopwatch.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • delcol
    delcol Posts: 2,848
    i think all the mags have dropped in quality this year.. i always read wtb mbr and mbuk.
    i tried to get into singletrack but never liked it i had dirt a fewtimes to but again never really liked it... funny though as my mate seb used to write for them.... and singletrack is local it only up the road in todmorden....
  • 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    delcol wrote:
    i think all the mags have dropped in quality this year.. i always read wtb mbr and mbuk.
    i tried to get into singletrack but never liked it i had dirt a fewtimes to but again never really liked it... funny though as my mate seb used to write for them.... and singletrack is local it only up the road in todmorden....

Same here, but singletrack does have some good articles, errr im feeling old!!!!!
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • tenfoot
    tenfoot Posts: 226
    Don't feel old.

I'm 44 and I too am just getting my old jumping technique (from my BMX days) back too. 8)