Etape- pen advice

Gesmi
Gesmi Posts: 35
Hi, hope it's ok to start a new thread on this specific topic.

When filling in the entry form for Etape Act II 2012, does anyone have any top tips for the "previous experience" boxes. I see from another thread advice on putting "nothing" to stand the best chance of being in the same pen as a mate, but any other thoughts? IN particular, if my only sportiv/racing experience is in the UK, should we be trying to get as early a start as possible or are even the slow pens good places to work in groups?

Thanks

G

Comments

• I did the 2011 Etape and entered with a pal
    We were both novices and left that box unchecked
    I was placed in the donkey pen, whilst despite booking within a minute of me, he ended up about 3 higher

I was getting all stressed about being swept, although in retrospect if youre going to get swept then the presumed 10-20 minutes between being at the back and half way up the field at the start really isnt going to be significant after 140km+

My pal withdrew leaving me on my lonesome
    The atmosphere is great, bunches came and went all day, everyones up for a good time - at least at the back of the field anyway :) - so dont worry about hooking up with a mini peleton to share the work with

Cheers
  • JSS
    JSS Posts: 55
    I was very worried about this but it turns out that even being in the very last pen wasn't a a bad thing last year. It meant that having a start number that was something like 9712 (out of 10,000) meant it was quite satisfying catching people in the 4000s on the lower slopes of the Galibier. There were never any traffic issues and it was all fine.

That said, had I flatted twice in the first hour it would have markedly increased my chances of being swept.
  • Gesmi
    Gesmi Posts: 35
    Thanks for the advice. We've entered Act II. Fingers crossed we're together, not the end of the world if we're not as it's the trip there and back I'm keen not to do alone. If we get seperated on the ride then so be it! Thanks again - now for some training.......
  • If you just want to ride with your friend(s) then you (or your friend) can wait by the side of the road after being released but before you go over the timing mat. Assuming you're not off with the first bunch, there will be a good block or so before the line. Just make sure you agree which side of the road you'll meet otherwise you'll miss each other in the crowd.
  • richa
    richa Posts: 1,632
    stanthomas wrote:
    If you just want to ride with your friend(s) then you (or your friend) can wait by the side of the road after being released but before you go over the timing mat. Assuming you're not off with the first bunch, there will be a good block or so before the line. Just make sure you agree which side of the road you'll meet otherwise you'll miss each other in the crowd.
    +1. It's a long day in the saddle. Only takes a few minutes to cross the line even from the back. Wait for your mate (or visa versa) and ride together from the start.
    Rich
  • alan_a
    alan_a Posts: 1,581
    Pau 2010: I was the very last person to cross the start line. Bib No 9978.

I started 28 minutes after the first pen and 10 minutes before the broom wagon started. It was a piece of cake keeping ahead of it and there was always a large group to work my way through to the front of and jump up the road to the next group for another draft.

Worry not about which pen you are in or how far to the front of your pen you are. Enjoy and extra hour in bed and simply turn up in time for the start.
  • Top advice there. Me and a mate did the Etape in 2010 - Pau - Tourmalet and we must've been standing around in Pau for an hour at least before we even clipped in. I could've stayed in bed for another hour, had a sh*t etc.. Don't fret about the bib number, just make sure you make it over the first pass without getting slowed down too much by the masses.