Cold lower back

hog snot
hog snot Posts: 5
edited December 2011 in Road buying advice
Does anyone have any tips about keeping their lower back warm during a long ride? Bib tights and a merino base layer don't seem to be the optimum solution for keeping my back warm.

Comments

• keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Well I was going to reccommend roubaix bibtights and a merino baselayer which works for me but clearly doesn't for you. Out of interest do you wear the baselayer under the bibtights for maximum draught exclusion?

Are you getting cold because your kit isn't wicking the sweat away fast enough?
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Never had that problem. What jacket/top are you wearing ? Is it not cycling cut and riding up maybe ?
  • I do wear roubaix bibtights with a merino top tucked in, then Endura softshell top layer. I just find that sometimes there is a gap against my lower back which gets cold. I wondered if there were any base layer tops out there that are form fitting to your lower back.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I know the race cut Gore shells tend to have relatively long dropped backs. Not sure about inner layers. Sounds like you might be riding in a more aggressive, stretched out position than I do
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Gore Bikewear amongst others do a lower back warmer which is effectively another layer of windstopper for your lower back. Alternatively try some medium warm-up balm before you start your ride - I use if for CX racing and find I still have a warm-glow when I'm driving home 3-4 hours later
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • anto164
    anto164 Posts: 3,500
    I wear Finisterre merino base layers. They're longer than average and go down to just below bumcrack height. these are perfect when wearing bibs in the cool, as they go lower and keep your middle warm.

One thing you may want to do is add a sleeveless base layer on top of the long sleeve.