Deore Hub

dboden
dboden Posts: 349
edited December 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Hello all,
I recently decided to have a go at replacing the bearings and clean my deore wheel hubs.
Followed the various guides that are floating about.

But I seem to have a little bit of movement (up & down) of the axle, in the drive side only, Non drive side seems fine.
Do you think its just the cups that have worn, causing this. Or is it possible that I,ve not put something back correctly?
The only thing I was unsure about, when securing everything, was the dust cap that goes over the bearings, Is it normal that this has a little movement.

Thanks

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    ifyou have play on one side only it is very odd. as one side effects the other side.

sounds like you have not done it correctly.

Read the info on Parktools and Sheldon Browns webbys.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • dboden
    I have... as I say the play is up and down, on one side only, as though the cup on the drive side is worn??
    Can this happen.

I just can't think what I could of done wrong, coz I,ve followed the guides?
  • Cup on the drive side is built into the freehub and can be replaced if that's the problem.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    dboden wrote:
    I have... as I say the play is up and down, on one side only, as though the cup on the drive side is worn??
    Can this happen.

I just can't think what I could have done wrong, coz I,ve followed the guides?
    did it look worn?

do you have the correct number of balls in place.

but again movment on one side will show on the other side as they both have an effect on each other.

cone and cup hubs tend to wear out before play apears as you can always adjust it away.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • dboden
    Didn't really look worn to me tbh!
    Think I'll re-do it tonight, to check the order I,ve placed everything. (Something is niggling me about the dust cap!)
    I'll report back soon
  • baznav73
    baznav73 Posts: 111
    If you have play on the drive side only and you are sure that it is all correct then the bolt holding your freehub body in place requires tightening, whip the axle back out and tighten it.
  • dboden
    Sorted it... don't really know how to explain it though, but I,ll have a go. I took it all apart.
    The thick spacer that sits next to the cone on the drive side was tightening up against the dust cap, So the cone wasn't sitting snug against the bearings, then leaving 0.5mm play, so I put one of the washers from the other side, between the cone and the spacer, this then allowed the cone to fit into the bearing!! Does that make sense?
    Unsure if this is how its supposed to be, or weather its happened due to wear, but it has sorted the problem.. Time will tell.