1st December: NDLATD

Kieran_Burns
Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
edited December 2011 in Commuting chat
National Drive Like A Tw*t Day.

Seriously - In all my years of cycling I have never seen so many impatient overtakes on a single commute. I've never seen so many in a week of commuting!

It was like almost every person who wanted to get past, didn't want to wait. I had overtakes on blind bends, approaches to roundabouts, into oncoming traffic, over solid white lines when I was easily holding 20mph, combinations of the above; and one bizarre incident where the woman swung IN to me and then pulled out as if she was overtaking AFTER she was past me! It was like she knew the combination of manoeuvres but didn't get them in the right order.

The truly oddest thing was that the majority of them didn't squeeze me but caused the oncoming traffic to do some serious avoiding actions: I saw at least two full on emergency stops (seriously, I am not exaggerating here... full on nose down judder, judder noise of the ABS kicking in)

I was fine, there were only a few close passes and nothing too terrible - it was all the other unfortunates suffering because of these impatient drivers.

What a commute....
Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
2011 Trek Madone 4.5
2012 Felt F65X
Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter

Comments

• DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    National Drive Like A Tw*t Day.

[...]

The truly oddest thing was that the majority of them didn't squeeze me [...]

Result! They're learning, then.

I only see a dozen cars before I switch to cycle paths, but I was behind one as it waited until a blind bend to overtake the cyclist in front (I commiserated with him as I went past).

It might also be NBYSWD (National Block Your Sink Waste Day), given the lack of Movember face fungus here today...
  • Pufftmw
    Pufftmw Posts: 1,941
    My No.1 contender today was the large builder's van that decided to overtake me just as I came up to a sharp & nearly blind 85 degree bend in a 20mph zone & I was doing 20! Result was that partway around the corner, he was 1/2 in the middle of the road. Fortunately he didn't just cut across my bows but he squeezed a bit.

Traffic 20 yards up was stationary :roll: so as I went past I said sarcastically to the neanderthal arm sticking out the window "Impressive overtake..."
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    ive just nipped out in a works van to pick something up, an stupid bint just basically forced me off the road.

If i wouldn't have braked an swerved she would have driven into the side of the van, an for what reason was she in such a rush for i hear you cry.......McDonalds!!!
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • Pufftmw wrote:
    My No.1 contender today was the large builder's van...
    So it is not just me who thinks that builder's vans are even worse than 17-years old girls in Ka's...
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Somewhat amusing incident this morning. Just after being held up at a Pelican crossing, car infront moves to right and slows where there is a well used right turn. Just as I reach him, he speeds up and turns left applying indicators at the moment he is turning left (and with me alongside). I jam the brakes on and turn in with him keeping parallel with him by means of a neat skid stop which was down either to supreme subconcious bike handling skills or luck!

He looked as startled as I must have :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    on the ride home last night i saw a taxi on the opposite side of the road mount the central reservation (grass) an drive along it to over take a car that was travelling a bit to slow for the taxi drivers liking.... :shock:
    Keeping it classy since '83