Returning rider bit confused

NickintheLakes
NickintheLakes Posts: 258
edited April 2013 in MTB beginners
After a long-ish absence due to accident i am getting back on two wheels.

After a fair bit of research I landed on a Cannondale Quick CX 1 but on the Cannondale website this bike is nicely specced - SLX throughout / MT4's.

However, in the UK it is shod with very basic Shimano brakes and Alivio makes an appearance.

Confused and disappointed - is this the norm in the bike industry now?

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Bikes are often specced differently depending on the country. If it was specced the same here, would cost a lot more, so horses for courses.

But Alivio is 9 speed now, and good solid kit, as are budget brakes.

Last years is better value:

http://www.tritoncycles.co.uk/m11b280s3 ... S_GB/20964

But these aren't true mountain bikes, but sporty hybrids.
  • Thanks for your reply.

I know the CX 1 is a hybrid - didn't know which section to post in.

I just am getting frustrated with trying to find the right bike for my needs.

Way back in the late 90's I had a Saracen Kili Pro Elite that was XT/XTR equipped and it was a damn fine bike too. I remember the purchasing process being easy.

I got a catalogue from my LBS, decided on the bike, re-specced it to suit and 2 weeks later I was out on the thing.

Now I am finding it hard to get what I want and then when I find something it is on back order or special order or not stocked as "no one wants them" or like now the spec' is not what you thought. Losing the will a bit!!!

What I wanted was a nice light MTB with no suspension at all, equipped to a decent spec' and in the £1200 - 1500 range; rare as hens teeth. Either that or I am a lousy Googler. On this I would slap some road orientated tyres as that is where I want to ride.

If anyone has any suggestions I am all ears.

I don't want a skinny tyred road bike as i prefer my fillings to stay in my teeth.

Thus, hybrids beckoned. Trek FX's looked good but seem a tad under-specced for the past (maybe I am in a time warp re spec/price ratios I found some nice Cubes at the £1200 to £1400 price point but the dealers who bothered to respond to my query (2 out of 5!) have them as special order with a ridiculous restock charge if don't like them but they have nothing similar to try and there are 21-28 day lead times. I fancied a Ghost 7500 Speedline but Evans say these are special order too.

So then I ended up on the Cannondale website and I thought ok the CX 1 looks nice and then I ran into the spec' issue. Personally I'd rather they offered a choice of spec's but they don't.

Ooooops I am nearly ranting now - I've just got a bit frustrated with it all.

In the end I might just go grab a Trek 6700/6900, stick some road orientated tyres on it, lock the Rebas and haul a few Kg extra about and burn a few extra calories. :lol:

Seriously though any advice appreciated on what to get.

£1200-1500 to spend, decent mid-range groupset, 80-100 miles per week, mainly on road (hilly Lake District) and occasional light off road work eg forest trails. What to try and buy?
  • supersonic
    I think your idea of getting a good mid priced hardtail and sticking the tyres you need on (and maybe a carbon rigid fork) is the way forward. Is easy to make a XC hardtail lighter and faster, not always easy to make a CX bike or hybrid more MTB like - MTBs are the true do it all bikes of the cycling world. This gives you flexibility in case the urge for dirt takes a fancy ;-)

£1500 is a healthy budget and will get you a bike with some top quality parts. The OnOne Whippet X9 for example:

http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/PBOOWHIPX9/ ... plete_bike

Good weight, carbon frame and top parts. If SRAM doesn't float your boat, but carbon does, take a look at the GT Zaskar Carbon Expert:

http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/products.p ... Suspension

or Giant XTC advanced:

http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/products.p ... Suspension

The Giant there is phenominal value! Though I can vouch for the GT, smooth riding frame. Carbon forks, try one of these:

http://www.carboncycles.cc/?s=0&t=2&c=43&p=196&

That fork, with some nice light tyres should get you down to around 20lbs.

Only problem with some of the deals is trying them out.
  • Thanks for your reply Supersonic.

Some nice bikes there - looks like I need to widen my search horizons a bit!

I have not heard of on-one, that looks a nice bike.

As you say it's the trying out that's a problem and whilst I know my budget is not a fortune it is enough for me not to want to get it wrong,

Will also have a look through the GT line up too as I think Evans can get these.
  • styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    Are you bothered about going fast? Or are you happy to just pootle along?

For the riding you describe, a road or cyclocross bike would fit the bill and they ride quicker (on the road) than a mtb with slicks, but if you arent bothered about speed then perhaps a mtb is the way forwards.

An On One inbred/scandal could be built with a really good rigid spec for £1500. Although I'd probably be more tempted by a Planet X Kaffenback custom build for the sort of riding you're describing - gives you more options I think i.e. you can set it up with drops and slick tyres and it would be quick on the road. Or run it with some CX tyres, disc brakes and flat bars and it would be decent off road aswell.
  • styxd
    Also, if you're an ok mechanic, you could have a go at building one yourself. Cotic make a really nice steel frame (The Soul) which could be built up rather nicely for £1500, especially if you shopped about for discounted parts.
  • One of the problems is I live in Kendal which means it is hard to go and try bikes.

I have a choice of Wheelbase or Evans really or LeisureLakesBikes of I want to travel further afield.

Evans (at least in Kendal) have a very poor range of bikes. Wheelbase have a decent-ish range but their website promises more than they have.

They have some nice Cube and Trek hardtails so maybe I'll go down that route - the Trek 6700 is nicely specced for £1200 and the 6900 ditto for £1400. Although I didn't really want an MTB with suspension.

I still don't understand why manufacturers do not offer groupset options. Tbh I think some of the offerings are way off base - I find quite a few bikes in the £1000-1500 range with bargain basement brakes, gears and wheels that I thought would be standard fare for bikes in the £500 range eg Cannondale offering bikes at over £1000 with an Alivio V brake that I can find for £9. How is that acceptable? Or is a cheap brake a great long lasting performer these days?

Any views on the Trek 6000 hardtails please? Thanks in advance.
  • supersonic
    The Trek 6500 is a stunning buy this year, not many of the top names have a fork as good as that for the money. This lower model could be the best bet as will leave budget customise.

Many bikes though at full RRP in 2012 don't look good value at all. But some of it is perception - if I was going to put V brakes on a 1k bike, I'd probably put on Alivio too! Why? Because they work bloody great, and not worth spending more really! But this is on the proviso the savings are invested in areas where it does count ie fork and wheels. But I guess we just expect a certain level of kit for a certain price.
  • Have realised that On One are in Rotherham which is not too far from me.

These are both £999 which is an astonishing price for what you get imo.

Steel frame/carbon fork/XT drivetrain/Avid brakes:

http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/CBOOIN26XT/on_one_inbred_swap_out_xt_pro

Carbon frame/carbon fork not the Rockshok shown/SLX drivetrain/Avid brakes:

http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/CBOOWHIPSLX/on_one_carbon_whippet_slx

Both nice esp' the carbon model and I like the thought of stiff forks (where have all the stiff forked MTB's gone)

My only concern are the Avid Elixer brakes which don't seem to get rave reviews.

Is this justified? Or are Avids further up the range ok - I can presumably spec' these up if needed.

Alternatively I am assuming that I can have some Shimano discs put on instead of the Avids.

Any views please?
  • supersonic
    If you want lightweight, steel frames are not the way to go - that Inbred weighs 5.5lbs. The Whippet frame weighs 2.9lbs! Of course when looking at the overall bike the Inbred is specced up due to the cheaper frame, but I'd take the Whippet everytime. Great base, and still should be lighter overall.

The SLX stuff is so good you'd be hard pushed to see the difference. Only the shifters are really a step up in performance.
  • Oh well - 2 whole days have elapsed since I sent a query email via their site link to On One and no reply.

This is hard work!
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Seeing as most of that was weekend it's not that surprising.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad wrote:
    Seeing as most of that was weekend it's not that surprising.

Was almost all of Friday + they are open Saturday and Sunday according to their website. Maybe that's just the showroom?

Guess I've gone all 24/7 over the years.

Maybe better if I call them tomorrow! :)

Bikes look nice and good value. :)
  • Got a reply today which was good - quite interested in one of these and also researching Boardmans too.
  • gmacz
    gmacz Posts: 343
    I wanted the same as you, mtb frame, smooth tyres and good gears for road.
    Nice and comfy on the road and what I was used to using.
    Times move on and I got the road bike as I was only able to cycle on the road.
    Love the road bike and at lower psi, it is very comfy and fast and in its enviroment.
    110 psi and it was as you say rattling my bones and teeth.
    80 psi and it does not do this and is better than the mtb by a huge margin on the road and a lot more fun.
    2000 miles and not a single puncture on filthy roads, good mudguards and the spray etc is contained.
    If you are sticking to the road only, get the full road bike and you will wonder why you wasted time looking at other type of bikes.
    I am a mtber at heart and always will be, on the road only, get the roadie.
  • supersonic
    occasional light off road work eg forest trails.

I think a modified MTB would be a much better bet.
  • gmacz
    gmacz Posts: 343
    What I wanted was a nice light MTB with no suspension at all, equipped to a decent spec' and in the £1200 - 1500 range; rare as hens teeth. Either that or I am a lousy Googler. On this I would slap some road orientated tyres as that is where I want to ride.

This is what my answer was related to, it was exactly the same as I wanted.
    He wants to ride on the road and that is where the roadie is king.
    As he has said, he is a bit confused.
    If you remove the MTB from above and put bike in its place, he has described a roadie.
    Later, as said. he adds a bit of mtb stuff and the full roadie is no use for that.
    The roadie is the best bike for what he describes, I still think he will go for the mtb/hybrid.
  • Well, I have been carrying out a bit of research and the Boardman Team R has hoved into view.

Looks like an MTB, reasonable kit, rigid carbon fork, comes with slick tyres etc. Seems very chep at £850, gets loads of good reviews and is way way inside my budget (which i am happy to spend but if I don't need to then why bother).

http://www.boardmanbikes.com/mtb/ht_teamr.html
  • styxd
    I reckon a Planet X Kaffenback would still be your best bet, or one of theose Uncle John Cycloscross bikes.
  • DrKJM
    DrKJM Posts: 271
    Just browsing this as my old MTB is coming out until the weather picks up. Coincidentally saw something on the Genesis site that might meet your needs. They seem to have a range of all rigid bikes, some in your price range.

e.g. http://www.genesisbikes.co.uk/bikes/mou ... -adventure
  • ian_s
    ian_s Posts: 183
    If its 90% road / 10% easy forest trails (Grizedale type thing) then its got to be a road orientated bike. An MTB kitted for the road will still be far behind.

Not sure if the OP is still looking but I would have a serious look at 'Cyclocross' bike (like the PlanetX ones suggested, or plenty of other branded and well specced machines comfortably within budget). With a selction of tyres - full road, knobblies for off road , maybe marathons for commuting etc it will do everything the OP wants.
    eg http://www.ashcycles.com/site/kona-jake ... 05a029bdb3
  • Must interject. I just worked with 2 dealers in the U.S. regarding the Cannondale Quick CX 1 which seems to be the same from 2011-2013. The specs were upgraded on the website each year...but the bike stayed exactly the same (because it didn't sell, perhaps?).

I called them out on how wrong it was to the consumer. Dealer upgraded Alivio to a Deore f. derailleur for me at no cost...SLX remained in rear. Shifters were upgraded to Deore LX at cost. However, the hubs are Shimano 475 instead of SLX...Magura MT2, which seem to have better testing/reviews than the MT4s. The bike is a FUN recreation bike for both road and trails...but it isn't as speedy as other hybrids due to nobby tires and Fatty DL perhaps.

I get 2 free bike tune-ups...but my question for you is one of value. Would you pay 828.77 GBP (VAT included) for this slightly customized bike?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    US prices never convert directly to £'s. But no.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • 2nd the Cyclocross idea.
    I know that it doesn't quite match your description but something like the Genesis Croix De Fer is designed to be a comfy mile eating monster. they have been used to circumnavigate Iceland and even the world.

If you can get yourself down to pedal power in Clitheroe then I know they have them in stock and the staff are very nice and helpful.

Oh and it's well within budget.