2012 Cervelo S2

BBH
BBH Posts: 476
edited December 2011 in Road buying advice
Guys,

I am looking at this frame for my next 'best' bike, (been without one since the summer :cry::cry:)

I was just wondering if anyone knows why cervelo have dropped the frame price this year from 2100 to 1699??
Has there been a change in carbon quality or is it due to phasing out the S2 line in favour of the S5???

Anyone having any ride experience on the S2 would be much appreciated too!!
Other runners in my potentials include: S5 (base model, but I'm still not struck on the look :? !!) & scott foil, so any comments on the above would be appreciated.

Looking to run it with SRAM red/force mix with handbuilt deep rimmed carbons from wheelsmith.

2012 Scott Foil 10 (Shimano dura ace) - in progress
2011 Cervelo S2 (SRAM Red/Force)
2011 Cannondale Caad 10 (Shimano 105)

"Hills Hurt, Couches Kill!!"
Twitter: @MadRoadie

Comments

• My understanding is that there is no change to the carbon. Just dropped the price due to the release of the S5.

I have put an order in for an S2 with my LBS as a race frame for next season. Only problem is the distributor is showing a delivery date of April!! And that was a couple of weeks ago. I am considering buying a 2011 model off an internet site that still has stock. Only reason I have not done so is the potential problems I may run into if there is a warranty issue. Better to be able to return locally and also get a bike fit included in the price.
  • bristolpete
    bristolpete Posts: 2,255
    I have a 2011 s2 in 56cm and it's a great bike. All usual review cliches apply, direct, stiff, fast, light and looks stunning in the flesh. I've ridden better climbing bikes, but as a full gas heads down machine it excels. Love the geometry too as it fits like a glove with the reach based spec Cervelo offer.
  • Drfabulous0
    Drfabulous0 Posts: 1,539
    There is no difference, the black frame is carried forward into 2012 as the current model, the white is discontinued. I would imagine that the price is reduced because they have stock they want to sell before updating it for 2013.
  • hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    I have a 2011 s2 in 56cm and it's a great bike. All usual review cliches apply, direct, stiff, fast, light and looks stunning in the flesh. I've ridden better climbing bikes, but as a full gas heads down machine it excels. Love the geometry too as it fits like a glove with the reach based spec Cervelo offer.

+1
    Mine runs full SRAM Red, Zero G brakes... Love it to bits :D
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • BBH
    BBH Posts: 476
    Thanks guys, hoping you would all say that (especially that it goes like the clappers when you put the hammer down!!!)
    Got to find a frame now!! - Velojay, agree with you re: purchase direct, also I believe frames purchased from a 'non-approved' cervelo dealer dont carry the lifetime warranty??.

BP - how's amelia doing now??

Thanks again all
    2012 Scott Foil 10 (Shimano dura ace) - in progress
    2011 Cervelo S2 (SRAM Red/Force)
    2011 Cannondale Caad 10 (Shimano 105)

"Hills Hurt, Couches Kill!!"
    Twitter: @MadRoadie
  • bristolpete
    bristolpete Posts: 2,255
    She's doing well. Walking around a dozen steps now and getting better daily. She is 2 on the 5th and we are having a big bash for her - mad to think that the hell
    she went through is fast approaching a year ago.

Thanks for asking,

Pete.