Forum home Mountain biking forum MTB buying advice

Whice On-One frame?

jizzlebjizzleb Posts: 135
edited December 2011 in MTB buying advice
Hi,

Looking to swap my slightly tired GT frame for an On-One frame (budget :-)) but can't work out which model to go for and wondered if any one could give advice? Basically want to swap all my current components to the new frame and wondered if I would hit any problems? New to this bike tinkering stuff so very inexperienced so any advice would be appreciated. Mainly XC riding but needs to fit with my 140mm travel fork. Current specs of my bike below.....

GT Aggressor XCR 09
■Frame Size: 18
■Chainset: Truvativ Firex 3.1 chainset with GXP BB
■Exact Frame Size: 18"
■Forks: Marzocchi 44TST2, 140mm travel, 15mm axle, adj rebound & lock-out
■Frame-: Superlight GT Triple Triangle frame, hydroformed & butted tubing
■Front Brake: Avid Juicy 3 hydraulic disc brakes, 185mm rotors
■Front Mech: Shimano Deore
■Gear Shifters: Shimano Deore Rapid Fire
■Hubs: Formula dc20/e37
■Quick Release Wheels: Yes
■Rear Brake: Avid Juicy 3 hydraulic disc brakes 160mm rotors

Thanks!
Canyon Nerve XC
Spec Allez
GT XCR SingleSpeed
GT Dyno

Posts

  • PudseypPudseyp Posts: 3,514
    With a 140mm fork.....a 456/summer season.....scandal/whippet and inbred are 100mm
    Tomac Synper 140 Giant XTC Alliance 1
    If the world was flat, I wouldn't be riding !
  • supersonicsupersonic Posts: 82,708 Lives Here
    I'd keep the XCR! if it is not structurally damaged you will save a lot of weight over a basic 456.
  • jizzlebjizzleb Posts: 135
    supersonic wrote:
    I'd keep the XCR! if it is not structurally damaged you will save a lot of weight over a basic 456.

    Really? Always thought the XCR was pretty heavy? I do like it but it has taking a bashing from me because I am useless and still learning and fancied something new and shiny. (Would love your Carbon GT I saw you advertised but finances are tight at the moment due to new work commitments).

    I see quite a few people have the 456 so assume people rate them!?
    Canyon Nerve XC
    Spec Allez
    GT XCR SingleSpeed
    GT Dyno
  • supersonicsupersonic Posts: 82,708 Lives Here
    Medium XCR is 4.4lbs.

    Medium 456 is 5.4lbs.

    Summer Season is about 5.7lbs.

    They are good, strong budget frames, but I think a downstep, or at least sidestep from what you have.

    The Zaskar weighs about 3.1lbs ;-). I might be able to do you a deal, I know all the parts you have would fit!
  • jizzlebjizzleb Posts: 135
    Ah right, mine is pretty light in comparison to them. Hmmmmmmm that has made me think twice about the On-Ones.

    I am assuming there isn't much else out there as an alternative to the On-Ones price wise other than going second hand.

    (Also if you still have that GT after I have settled in the new job I may have to give you a tinker :P)
    Canyon Nerve XC
    Spec Allez
    GT XCR SingleSpeed
    GT Dyno
  • PudseypPudseyp Posts: 3,514
    Longshot....but how about this ?

    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=65613

    Bit of a bargain at £80
    Tomac Synper 140 Giant XTC Alliance 1
    If the world was flat, I wouldn't be riding !
  • jizzlebjizzleb Posts: 135
    Pudseyp wrote:
    Longshot....but how about this ?

    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=65613

    Bit of a bargain at £80

    Interesting, has any one ridden one of these? Looks like quite a budget frame even compared to the on-one stuff?
    Canyon Nerve XC
    Spec Allez
    GT XCR SingleSpeed
    GT Dyno
  • PudseypPudseyp Posts: 3,514
    jizzleb wrote:
    Pudseyp wrote:
    Longshot....but how about this ?

    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=65613

    Bit of a bargain at £80

    Interesting, has any one ridden one of these? Looks like quite a budget frame even compared to the on-one stuff?

    True...but On One aren't premium frames....and the original retail is similar to the In Bred...and probably made in the same Taiwanese factory....Merlin Cycles also do nice Malt frames
    Tomac Synper 140 Giant XTC Alliance 1
    If the world was flat, I wouldn't be riding !
  • supersonicsupersonic Posts: 82,708 Lives Here
    Is a budget XC frame, 80-120mm forks.
  • AnonymousAnonymous Posts: 79,667
    edited December 2011
    Carbon 456 - 1.5kg / 3.3lbs

    More expensive at £399, but for carbon it's a very good price, strong sturdy frame and a damn nice looking bike. Plus tapered head tube to give you the option of tapered fork whereas the steel frame I think doesn't.

    Not sure on the head angle of the GT, but the 456 is pretty slack which may be attractive if a slacker angle is your thing.

    I wouldn't go on weight alone. Material is one thing (steel, alloy, carbon - each have different feel). Geometry is important and can make a different frame a very different bike. Compare the geometry specs.

    Watch the sizes with the 456 stuff. I found 16" frame comparable with my old 18" GT for reach.

    Sometimes on offer. Was down at £300, think it may have been even cheaper than that for the undecaled frame at one point.
  • bails87bails87 Posts: 12,998
    That Sunn frame:
    Frame: TRAVIS AL6061DB
    Weight: 13,35 kg
    :shock:

    :lol:


    Ok, one of the reviews says the XS actually weighs 1690g.
    MTB/CX

    "As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • jizzlebjizzleb Posts: 135
    deadkenny wrote:
    Carbon 456 - 1.5kg / 3.3lbs

    More expensive at £399, but for carbon it's a very good price, strong sturdy frame and a damn nice looking bike. Plus tapered head tube to give you the option of tapered fork whereas the steel frame I think doesn't.

    Not sure on the head angle of the GT, but the 456 is pretty slack which may be attractive if a slacker angle is your thing.

    I wouldn't go on weight alone. Material is one thing (steel, alloy, carbon - each have different feel). Geometry is important and can make a different frame a very different bike. Compare the geometry specs.

    Watch the sizes with the 456 stuff. I found 16" frame comparable with my old 18" GT for reach.

    Sometimes on offer. Was down at £300, think it may have been even cheaper than that for the undecaled frame at one point.


    I do like the look of the carbon on-one 456 frame and could be an option after the new job, although I would be looking at Supersonics Carbon Zaskar first as that thing is a beauty. Yeah sizing does seem a lot different with the on-one stuff, I am only 5'10 with short legs and a far censored so the 18 GT is a good size for me.
    Canyon Nerve XC
    Spec Allez
    GT XCR SingleSpeed
    GT Dyno
  • +1 for the Carbon 456. Absolutely love mine and has built into a light and very fast bike. Wait until Xmas when On One do their usual huge reductions.
  • bails87bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Well, if the C456 is in budget now :wink: .....I'll recommend one too, I love mine.
    MTB/CX

    "As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • jizzlebjizzleb Posts: 135
    You all have me thinking now lol.
    Canyon Nerve XC
    Spec Allez
    GT XCR SingleSpeed
    GT Dyno
  • kenankenan Posts: 952
    I had the steel 456 and then got the carbon version. As the other said its a fab bike and I'd also reccomend one.
Sign In or Register to comment.