Brush your knees?

bigjim
bigjim Posts: 780
edited December 2011 in The bottom bracket
I,ve recently changed the handlebars bars on a bike I,ve bought. It's an old 531 steel framed job, and the original bars were too narrow for my liking. I also fitted a shorter stem because I am never comfortable stretched out [short body, long legs I guess] and like to ride on the drops with my elbows slightly bent. I went out for a 2 hour ride today and found the bike superbly comfortable with no issues. But. I did find whilst out of the saddle my knee occasionaly brushed the bars. The fit is not what is supposed to be standard as I can see the front wheel hub easily over the bars rather than the supposed "correct" position where the hub is supposed to be hidden. I'm loathe to change things as it is a faff and I am comfortable where it is. Has anybody had the same experience or any thoughts?

Cheers. Jim

Comments

• lemoncurd
    lemoncurd Posts: 1,428
    Comfortable? Leave as it is.

Or visit one of the many Web Sites that have a cycle fit calculator (Competitive Cyclist have a good one).

If you can, post a picture of you on your bike - you should get some helpful responses.
  • bigjim
    bigjim Posts: 780
    Thanks. I used a few of these fit sites in the past and one required a whole bunch of measurements. I've never found them to be that useful and a few, when I adjusted to their findings left me really uncomfortable on the bike. My own trial and error has ended up with more favourable results.
  • GiantMike
    GiantMike Posts: 3,139
    If it works, leave it as it is. I sometimes knee the bars when climbing.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    It may be a simple case of you leaning forward too much while out of the saddle; more of a technique "issue" than a fit one. Your weight should be approximately evenly distributed between the wheels... if you rub the saddle with your thigh occasionally while standing, then I think that's about right.

You'll notice the "s... i.e. it isn't really an issue and I would leave things as they are.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/