Best place to go on a Tuesday morning in South Wales

Shackster
Shackster Posts: 257
edited November 2011 in MTB general
I can't decide so thought I'd chuck this out for advice/abuse, as appropriate!

At work we just got a job which means I'll be in the Cardiff area on Monday afternoon, and, obviously, I immediately thought (before we'd actually got the job, in fact), "Aha! that's near some quality mtb'ing!" having recently been to Afan and Cwmcarn. So I'll be staying down there on Monday night (near CC). Don't want to go further west before driving home (Kent), so Afan is out. When we were at CC recently I enjoyed the Twrch trail and could go for that again, but I'm always keen to try something new. So, my choices are:

1) do the Twrch trail
2) do that up to the top of the hill and give the DH a go (assume that's possible)
3) go to Forest of Dean and do the XC and DH courses, which sound pretty good from another thread in the DH section

Main reason I'm asking is because I haven't got any DH gear. I'm confident my bike will handle it, at the slow speed I'll be going. I'm fairly OK with technical descending, and I like drops if not too big (handled skyline/whites level OK), but not so much on jumps. Definitely plan to stay on the ground with a 190 mile drive afterwards!

I'd really like to give the CC DH a try but am worried it's a bit stupid to do so without the proper gear. Are you even allowed on it without a full face helmet for example?
2011 Canyon XC 8.0 (Monza Race Red)
1996(?) dyna-tech titanium HT; pace RC-35's; Hope Ti Hubs etc etc
Bianchi Road Bike

Comments

• Squarepants
    Squarepants Posts: 1,019
    edited December 2011
    On your point re Cwmcarn dude there's no restriction on what you can wear/not wear. Don't let that put you off, get up there and give it a go, simples. I was on an uplift recently where half the bus were in trail lids and no armour and we've/plenty of people ride the twrch and then pedal up to the DH to finish so no issues there.

Can't comment on FOD as only ridden verderers once but defo get yourself to CC and make sure you do the DH :D
    Cube Hanzz Pro FR
    It's not that I'm over over biked, my bike is under personed...
  • Cool - that was exactly the answer I was hoping for!!

Now to find a decent hotel in the area (on expenses)!! :D
    2011 Canyon XC 8.0 (Monza Race Red)
    1996(?) dyna-tech titanium HT; pace RC-35's; Hope Ti Hubs etc etc
    Bianchi Road Bike
  • Pudseyp
    Pudseyp Posts: 3,514
    Best place to go on a Tuesday morning in South Wales ??? HOME
    Tomac Synper 140 Giant XTC Alliance 1
    If the world was flat, I wouldn't be riding !