Motivation

gazman1
gazman1 Posts: 77
edited December 2011 in Road beginners
Hi all, what motivates YOU to ride when its dark and dismal outside after a hard days work, iwant to get out but but cannot get motivated, HELP! oh and thanks in advance. :(

Comments

• Not losing the fitness gains I've worked so hard to get,
    Not putting back on the weight I've lost and
    Not staring at the garage wall for hours on the turbo!
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    No help here - I don't simple as. Indoor cycling classes/ turbo sessions and an attempt to do a weekly daytime outdoor ride is my best until the time turns somewhere close to February. I don't stress about it or thinking I shall have a crap start to my race season.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,920
    JGSI wrote:
    No help here - I don't simple as.
    Ditto. Apart from the 10-mile there-and-back commute, any pleasure riding ('training') is done in daylight - still managed to get in 200 miles last week, though I have got the benefit of Wednesday mornings off.
  • DavidJB
    DavidJB Posts: 2,019
    Racing in Jan!
  • Gazman for me its
    Only started riding road bike in October after 27 years out so its great compared to MTB
    Chill out after crap stressful day at work
    Get some time away from wife & kids (love them but "ME" time is precious)
    Most of all I am building fitness gradually for when Spring arrives & by then I will be mutch fitter & ready for some seriously long rides at a fair pace!
    Also gym just turns me off & wifes said if I stick at it I can spend whatever I want on my next bike-)
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    I am a slave to the audax goal that is RRtY (Randonneur Round The Year) - basically, you have to ride at least a 200km ride every month - I am now on month 15 of that - and I would be heartbroken to break the run!

There are people out there who've got a run of 60+ months now (I believe there is someone who's on month 100plus now!).

It puts a tremendous psychological motivation on me - the thought of starting again is a lot to take in.

If I can tough it out over last winter with it's snow and ice, I am sure I can handle anything! The ride I am doing this weekend for my December 200 was one of the hardest days out on a bike last year - snow, ice, minus 7 - looks a bit nicer this year!

It is hard riding, particularly distance (where several hours are going to be in the dark), in winter - but equally, there's a side of the countryside that you don't see at other times of the year, I love riding on a crisp, cold day and a bowl of hot soup at a cafe will never seem better than on these days.

As others have mentioned, part of the motivation is to not lose (much) fitness, otherwise spring is a painful time! I have some pretty ambitious goals for next year, so need to hit the ground running come March when the season gets into it's full stride again.

I am far from perfect though - the turbo isn't seeing as much action as I would like currently!
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,729
    It's tough.

Commuting by bike through the winter is the only way. For some reason, that's the only situation where I will bury myself just to end the discomfort more quickly.
  • Zoomer37
    Zoomer37 Posts: 725
    gazman1 wrote:
    Hi all, what motivates YOU to ride when its dark and dismal outside after a hard days work, iwant to get out but but cannot get motivated, HELP! oh and thanks in advance. :(

Keeping the miles up around this time of the year is tricky unless you have something you can get focused on.

I'll assume your new to this, so why not look for a sportive or audex coming up in the new year you can train for?
  • okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    200 km a month is easy, I can't see me not doing that for the next 20 years...

With regards to motivation, I do not want to pay £15 a day to get to work. I also want to get faster and beat people up hills and round courses.

This whole thing about being fat and doing no miles because its 'winter' is a load of shit, I'm as fit as I've ever been, and only want to improve. The weather here is simply not bad enough to warrant a stop in cycling. Commuting helps, obviously.
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • ^^ he said a single ride of 200km every month!!
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    biscuit959 wrote:
    ^^ he said a single ride of 200km every month!!

Quite right.

At least one 200km ride each month, not 200km a month! Gets pretty tough over winter, but provides all the motivation I need to get out.
  • thanks for the answer everyone, i am new to road biking but have been mtb`ing for a few years, i have put my name down for a 30 mile sportive in feb but still cant get out, i need to drive to work due to the nature of the business, but after a hard days graft (and im not saying im the only person who works) i`m knackered, i will have to try a bit harder, and get out as much as possible, i also still mountain bike once weekly through winter.
  • DavidJB
    I get up at 5.30 before work and do an hour and a half on the turbo...then I dont have to worry after work ;)
  • jgsi
    I have to ask...
    every day? why do you do that?
  • DavidJB
    JGSI wrote:
    I have to ask...
    every day? why do you do that?

haha no, once or twice a week at most. Think Mrs JB would commit murder if I got up that early every day. I do 3 (1 or 2 in the evening) turbo sessions a week and 2 long base rides out side at the weekend. I much prefer getting it out of the way early and I've always been an early bird so suits me.
  • jgsi
    I have staying power ok,,,,,,,
    staying in bed power
    :wink:
  • If you already get out on the mtb you may have the answer. Get out more. This end of the year is dark and dank, you probably will get wet and filthy, so go the whole hog on the mtb. I've never been into them but bought one a few years ago for that reason and with commuting on the crosser find no fitness need be lost.
    Oddly, I've always found I have my best rides in the winter. Maybe it's getting out in the fresh air.
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • fish156
    fish156 Posts: 496
    gazman1 wrote:
    I avoid having to try & motivate myself to train in the dark by getting out on the bike in the daylight.
      Have you got shower facilities at work? If so, get out and train at lunchtime. Also book a couple of mornings off a month (it's only work, after all) and get some midweeks steady miles in.