iPhone issue.

Wallace1492
Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
edited November 2011 in Commuting chat
Got an iPhone 4 in the end, and have thought it has been excellent.
Maps, Endomondo, Strava, superb.

However was out MTBing the other night and it got a little damp.....

it has resided in rice for a few days. Switches on, now gets WiFi but the display has a few "damp" patches inside. Also it seems not to want to connect to network, (O2) giving a "no service" when it searches.

Any suggestions?
"Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"

Comments

• TBH it's probably dead. Moisture kills electronics very quickly. My phone got wet whilst helping out a fallen rider on the Lance Twitter ride. It wouldn't turn off and the light kept coming on randomly. Fortunately I got it replaced as there was no evidence of water damage and the symptoms were the same as a known fault (might even have been that fault too).
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • FoldingJoe
    FoldingJoe Posts: 1,327
    edited November 2011
    Did you do anything with the sim card?

if it is having problems connecting to the mobile network your sim card probably needs replacing, which O2 should be able to do for you.

You may be able to get something done about the display either at an Apple store (expensive), or a bit of DIY if you are up to that kind of thing (try YouTube).
    Little boy to Obama: "My Dad says that you read all our emails"
    Obama to little boy: "He's not your real Dad"

Kona Honky Tonk for sale: http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40090&t=13000807
  • FoldingJoe
    FoldingJoe Posts: 1,327
    Little boy to Obama: "My Dad says that you read all our emails"
    Obama to little boy: "He's not your real Dad"

Kona Honky Tonk for sale: http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40090&t=13000807
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    A few years ago I cracked the screen on my Razr by rolling down a hill with my daughter with it in my pocket.

I then bought one of those retro Nokai phones that slide into a titanium hardcase and skoosh out like a soft-close drawer when you press the button on the side. Expensive, but very cool and presumably almost indestructable.

Two days later I fell into my pond with it in my pocket.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • A while ago, a family friend managed to put his iphone through the washing machine whilst it was sat in his jeans pocket. Having checked the internet he sat it next to his boiler (in a closed cupboard) for a few days and dried it out. Worked after that, it did take a few days and its was probably a few more days of limited use and keeping it next to the boiler before the screen cleared up.

Interestingly, the first thing he discovered when checking out how to resolve this online, was the apparently Apple have a water marker on the insides of the phone that indicate if there has been water damage like his, to stop claims for new phones becuase its not working as it should. So not all water damage is covered by a replacement
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    You just need to leave it until it dries out I believe.

Never had the problem myself though. I always put my phone in a plastic bag when out MTBing.
  • Wallace1492
    Dougal, apprantly NO damage due to water is covered by the warranty. One of the two indicators has turned red so says there has been water ingress.

Suzyb, hard lesson for me.... should have put in a bag, even have one I got free with a Mountain Bike magazine, but I just did not think!!!!

Guess i will leave to dry out, and see what happens. Any other suggestions? on top of radiator? in a low oven....
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Dougal, apprantly NO damage due to water is covered by the warranty. One of the two indicators has turned red so says there has been water ingress.

Suzyb, hard lesson for me.... should have put in a bag, even have one I got free with a Mountain Bike magazine, but I just did not think!!!!

Guess i will leave to dry out, and see what happens. Any other suggestions? on top of radiator? in a low oven....
    Bag of rice
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • There will most likely be corrosion issues on the PCBs especially if there's any flux residue. Certainly try a new SIM though (first thing to do when it gets wet is to pull the sim out)
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    Dougal_bug wrote:

Interestingly, the first thing he discovered when checking out how to resolve this online, was the apparently Apple have a water marker on the insides of the phone that indicate if there has been water damage like his, to stop claims for new phones becuase its not working as it should. So not all water damage is covered by a replacement

most mobile phones do

if you look at the battery in your phone it will have a white sticker with a red stripe :wink:
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Dry it out slowly. Bag of rice, for as many days as it takes.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • worth checking what (if any) cover you might have via Home Contents insurance, and also if your back account includes any phone insurance (for accidental damage).

We get mobile phone cover via Natwest included with our account, my wife's old iPhone 3GS was replaced with a £20 excess after she dropped it and smashed it up, couldn't have been easier!

- Jon
    Commuting between Twickenham <---> Barbican on my trusty Ridgeback Hybrid - url=http://strava.com/athletes/125938/badge]strava[/url
  • Wallace1492
    Bank account cover has £100 XS, not sure about home contents but will look.
    Happy to leave it a day or two and see if it will dry out.

It connects to WiFi but not to carrier. Think a few days in a bag of rice on top of a radiator should get things going.

Replace SIM a few have said. Sounds good, as that seems to be the only thing not working, though phone recognises it.
  • It's worth checking with the Apple shop if they do a refurb exchange for out-of-warranty phones. Garmin do a great service - when my Forerunner 305 got run over, they'd have exchanged it for a refurb for £50 despite the fact I'd have sent them a bag of bits.
  • bunter
    bunter Posts: 327
    A colleague was told by her phone company that 'atmospheric conditions' could have caused water damage to her phone. Needless to say she kicked off until they backed down.