Guisborough Forest?

Stevo_666
Stevo_666 Posts: 58,166
edited December 2011 in Routes
I'm going to go there early next week - does anyone know what state the trails are in at the moment? Also it looks like there was a new red run being built - is this open yet/what's it like?

Cheers in advance.
"I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]

Comments

• There's a lot of felling going on in the woods at the moment, with a lot of the trails closed, particularly the Black and Red I believe.

I was up there a few weeks ago and took plenty of pictures, they will give you some idea as to the conditions:
    Have a look here:

http://www.mtbe.co.uk/ruddy-good-ride-t ... uisborough

hope that helps.
  • Stevo_666
    Thanks - managed to find the Forestry commission website page for Guisborough; says both the blue and the red are open but no mention of the black?
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • There's a lot of felling going on in the woods at the moment, with a lot of the trails closed, particularly the Black and Red I believe.

I was up there a few weeks ago and took plenty of pictures, they will give you some idea as to the conditions:
    Have a look here:

http://www.mtbe.co.uk/ruddy-good-ride-t ... uisborough

hope that helps.

I LOVE the steps at the end of those photos, sadly they have also been the source of many a pinch flat.
    MmmBop

Go big or go home.
  • Stevo_666
    north-sure wrote:
    I LOVE the steps at the end of those photos, sadly they have also been the source of many a pinch flat.
    No problem - I'm tubeless :)
  • Stevo_666
    Did the red route at Guisborough yesterday - what a let down :( A long and in places steep fire road climb to get to 5 minutes of single track that takes you back onto the fire road to go back down. Could they not have designed a decent route backdown to the bottom of the hill FFS?
  • For good sustained riding around Guisborough, start & finish in the woods but head towards the Captain Cook monument above Gt Ayton and do a descent loop. There are some awesome trails through Guisborough Woods but local knowledge is needed...
  • rob13
    rob13 Posts: 430
    I need to tap into some of this local knowledge as I dont know my way around it either.
  • Stevo_666
    Petaypan74 wrote:
    For good sustained riding around Guisborough, start & finish in the woods but head towards the Captain Cook monument above Gt Ayton and do a descent loop. There are some awesome trails through Guisborough Woods but local knowledge is needed...
    Thanks - I know where that is and I think you can see it from the waymarked trail. May have to get an O/S map and do some research for next time I am there.