The Universal Cyclists' Shoe Size Converter

jcb1973
jcb1973 Posts: 4
edited November 2011 in The bottom bracket
Hello all - I'm often not sure as to shoe sizing when buying online. The best advice for me is often of the type 'if you're a size x in Maker X, you'll be a size y in Maker Y'.

I'm currently trying to gather as much data as I can that compares different makers' sizing to share with the cycling community, and hopefully help us all.

Shoe size survey

A perennial problem that maybe the power of the crowd can tackle! Makers I've got data for so far include:

Diadora, Sidi, Specialized, Scott, Shimano, Carnac, Decathlon, Mavic, dhb, Northwave, Bontrager, Adidas, Time, Gaerne

It's a good start, but I need more data! Especially from female cyclists, who are currently underrepresented in the results.

Thank you all in advance - the more answers we get, the more useful the resource will be. If this turns out to be worth doing, I want to tackle other clothing, starting with jerseys and shorts later (probably Italian XXXXL = Pearl Izumi M !!)

Note that the survey is intentionally rough and ready - minimal validation etc. Really just to get started and see where it leads. Answers are anonymous, I'll share the data, and I'd be really grateful if you could please share the survey link via email, Facebook, Twitter etc with as many cycling types as you can.

Comments

• jim453
    jim453 Posts: 1,360
    Are you bored or unemployed?

or both?
  • I always add at least one size to the stated size for shimano shoes. i.e. i have size 10 feet but buy a size 11 as they actually fit.
    Veni Vidi cyclo I came I saw I cycled
    exercise.png
  • Neither bored, nor unemployed, merely trying to do something that a community I enjoy being part of might find useful!
  • jim453
    jim453 Posts: 1,360
    Ok fair enough.

Good luck with the UCSSC!
  • While this could make a useful tool, fit is not just size...

Probably more so for bike shoes than general footwear, IMO.

Would still want to try before I buy.
  • @jim453 thanks! I can see that the intro perhaps sounds like I'm some kind of strange cycling train-spotter with a foot-fetish :wink: (I'm not yet...)

@upsanddowns absolutely. I don't think anything beats trying 'em on - where I live (the wilds of rural Poland, far from any decent bike shops) that isn't an option, and I rely right now on tracking down user experience reports ('Shimano tend to be narrow', ' Sidi Mega comes out at the same width as Specialized' etc) for my orders.

Other clothing might be more of an issue than shoes - as time and time again I've seen people asking (especially for Italian brands...) what size they need (check out most of the Q&A's on Wiggle for example). That's something I'd also like to try to solve some time... Let's see how I get on with this, and thanks to everyone who's filling in the questionnaire.