should i raw my frame?

2»

Comments

• delcol
    delcol Posts: 2,848
    jay12 wrote:
    delcol wrote:
    but once my next build is finished i plan on getting the kinesis frame professionaly done and either raw'd and clearcoated or powercoated in another colour, but thats a long way away
    bloddy hell how much do paper rounds pay these days.... that sounds costly...

would look better though than doing it yourslef....
    a lot more than back in your day!

did'nt have newpapers in my day... when i were a lad they had not even invented colour you could only see in black and white....
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Can't have been from a paper round. Have to be 13 to do one these days :P
  • 1mancity2 wrote:
    deadkenny wrote:
    1mancity2 wrote:
    I would repaint it, ally in its raw state unless treated will oxidise.
    Oxidised aluminium acts as a protective coating and isn't a corrosive issue. Aluminium alloys often have enhanced corrosion resistance.

If you go raw, after polishing (if you want to) simply clear coat it. It's just paint without pigment.

Gives it a nice shine and takes the scratches a little instead of the frame.

I know its not corrosive, thats why I said it would "oxidise if untreated"

and if its being clear coated you will have to use a specific lacquer or it will not key and eventually flake off.

Aluminum wont corrode, well not to the point of actually damaging the material.

A VERY thin layer oxidises actually forming like a protective crust over the bare metal. That's how anodising works... Its a sped up corrosion but they introduce a dye which actually colours the oxidised layer.

Plus once its polished you can get it powder coated clear which will stick to the bare aluminum.
  • Here's my mates effort.

imag0128156.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Nitromors, sandpaper and a lot of time, oh and a dremel tool for the nooks and crannies.
    I don't think he would do it again!

His frame is raw, no clearcoat just decals.
  • I wouldn't "raw" it.

You need to have a lot of patience. I got bored polishing a cam cover and that was on a polishing wheel!

yup. i did it to my rocker covers, what a PITA
  • tsenior
    tsenior Posts: 664
    1mancity2 wrote:

Aluminum wont corrode, well not to the point of actually damaging the material.

A VERY thin layer oxidises actually forming like a protective crust over the bare metal. That's how anodising works... Its a sped up corrosion but they introduce a dye which actually colours the oxidised layer.

Plus once its polished you can get it powder coated clear which will stick to the bare aluminum.

is this true in extremis? i have a old Gt frame seen alot of action on the roads which appears pitted arpound the bb, esp on the bottom of the seatube... umming and ahhin]g whether to give it yet another incarnation...