First bike since I was a child!

rumbataz
rumbataz Posts: 796
edited December 2011 in MTB beginners
Morning all. I'm looking to buy my first bike since I was a child - a period of around 35 years! I really want something just for recreation and keeping fit with - nothing too serious. I'm on a fairly tight budget (around £500 max excluding accessories). It'll be mostly for road use but I need to feel that i've had a decent workout on it after a ride.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• sexysi
    sexysi Posts: 50
    If it is mainly for road use then your in the wrong section. But I run a road bike and a MTB, Don't get a steel frame bike, way too heavy, look out for an alloy framed road bike. A road bike will give you a decent enough work out, i am doing a 40 mile round trip commute on a road bike each day, so doing about 2 1/2 hrs riding a day, which is way enough for me.

si
    "Oh, Edmund! Can it be true? That I hold here, in my mortal hands, a nugget of purest green!"
    Road = 1980 Raleigh Record Sprint
    MTB = 2000 Scott Vail
    Road = 2002 Peugeot c300 comp road race bike
    Road = 2012 Bianchi Impulso
    Car = Saab 93, MGTF
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Steel vs aluminium - not strictly true. My steel road bike (large) weighs less than my son's aluminium one (medium). He has a decent Trek, not a BSO. Depends on the steel used, design etc.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Indeed CD but we were at a £500 price point!

Decide what you want to do, for the road use a road bike (dropped bars, what you called a racing bike as a kid) or a Hybrid (road bike with flat bars), both will cope with gravel paths OK, the wider the tyre the better it would cope, only get an MTB if you intend going mountain biking (real off road).....

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Indeed CD but we were at a £500 price point!

Decide what you want to do, for the road use a road bike (dropped bars, what you called a racing bike as a kid) or a Hybrid (road bike with flat bars), both will cope with gravel paths OK, the wider the tyre the better it would cope, only get an MTB if you intend going mountain biking (real off road).....

Simon

My road bike cost me £5 on Ebay (badly worded ad). Although I did have to replace the tubes which had perished, so on the road for about a tenner. Reynolds 531.

Otherwise agree with everything you say.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools