First attempt at tube repair

alidaf
alidaf Posts: 147
edited December 2011 in Commuting chat
My first road bike puncture on the way to work yesterday. I wasn't too far from home so I hobbled back and planned to try my first ever repair that evening.
I got the tyre off and the tube out, found/removed the offending item and proceeded to repair the tube. The fiddly b@stard little stickers were a pain but with a sense of satisfaction I finished patching the hole. Tried a bit of pressure...ooh another hole. Repair number 2. While that one was curing I tried having a go at fitting the spare tube. Got the tube and tyre on and started to inflate. Seemed to be going well so inflated a bit harder. Seconds later, with my pants full of shepherds pie and a ringing in my ears from the explosion I staggered into the lounge to find some moral support from the missus. In fighting spirit I went back to the repair... 4 holes later I put the tube and tyre back on and with some newly gained experience under my belt, tried inflating it. Its still hissing! FML! :cry:

Comments

• CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Did you locate & remove the underlying cause? If there's still a nail sticking out of the tyre it won't stay up when you inflate it.
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,312
    Yup, sounds like there's still something stuck in the tyre, or possibly in the rim. Check for sharp edges carefully, or the rim tape sliding over exposing spoke holes etc.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    did you carry on checking the tyre when you found the first sharp thing in the tyre?

did you pinch the tube when you were taking your tyre off (ignore this if you didn't use tyre levers!)

when you put the tyre back on, were you sure not to get the inner tube caught between the tyre bead (thick band where the tyre goes onto the rim) and the rim?
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Also I suggest a change in diet to something more clogging than shepherds pie until you get your technique down. :-D
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    Thats commonly known as a fail, but chin up you'll get better at it.

Are you sure you got all the whatever was causing the puncture out of the tyre. I always put a chalk mark on the tyre where the valve was, that way when you find the hole(s) in the tube you can line it back up with the tyre to narrow down your search for sharp bits sticking through the tyre.

Put enough air in the tube to hold its shape before you refit it - that should stop you trapping the tube between rim and tyre as you put the tyre back on - that was probably the reason for your "shepherds pie meet trousers" moment. Also a light dusting of talc on the inner tube helps
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • alidaf
    alidaf Posts: 147
    I rushed in but common sense actually made me check all along the inside of the tyre. I've since watched some videos on how to do things properly and learned a few things for next time. For the time being though, its boiled eggs and bananas for me!
    Thanks for all the suggestions.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    t4tomo wrote:
    I always put a chalk mark on the tyre where the valve was, that way when you find the hole(s) in the tube you can line it back up with the tyre to narrow down your search for sharp bits sticking through the tyre.

Or you could do what everyone else does and just align the tyre transfers with the valve hole - which looks nice as well :wink:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,297
    Rolf F wrote:
    t4tomo wrote:
    I always put a chalk mark on the tyre where the valve was, that way when you find the hole(s) in the tube you can line it back up with the tyre to narrow down your search for sharp bits sticking through the tyre.

Or you could do what everyone else does and just align the tyre transfers with the valve hole - which looks nice as well :wink:
    That's all far too organised. I take the tube out, find the hole, hold the tube over the wheel and tyre to get the relative position of hole to tyre and make a mental note of it. I then repair the tube and whilst that is going off I check the tyre, having forgotten where the hole would be so check the whole tyre anyway.
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    Rolf F wrote:
    t4tomo wrote:

what everyone are you sure? BTW not all tyres have transfers on them.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    t4tomo wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:
    t4tomo wrote:

what everyone are you sure? BTW not all tyres have transfers on them.

Yes, absolutely. Everyone. Except the hopelessly disorganised - I forgot about Veronese68 :lol:

There aren't many tyres without transfers now. The only ones I have are some Michelin World Tours but even those have markings I could line up with the valves if I chose to.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • FoldingJoe
    FoldingJoe Posts: 1,327
    Ah, I tried that when I fitted my first set of Ultremo's, and the flippin' transfers were in different positions on either side of the tyre!! :)
    Little boy to Obama: "My Dad says that you read all our emails"
    Obama to little boy: "He's not your real Dad"

Kona Honky Tonk for sale: http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40090&t=13000807
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,297
    Just to confirm my position as hopelessly disorganised. I swapped the tyres on my old mountain bike yesterday as it's now pub/winter bike. After I'd finished I remembered the thing about transfers.