Stuck seat post

chadders81
chadders81 Posts: 744
edited December 2011 in Workshop
Bought a bike off eBay for the winter and the carbon seat post seems stuck in the aluminium frame.

LBS are saying it's terminal unless I pay them to cut it out bit by bit which could cost me £100.

Anybody had a similar problem?

Any ideas?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Read the how tos on Shelton browns webby and cut it out yourself.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Yossie
    Yossie Posts: 2,600
    Do a search on here and you'll fiond about a million squillion threads re the same - the latest one was about two or three weeks ago.

And find another LBS - it sounds like they are a) having a bubble or b) really don't want the job so are pricing it so high that you'll just go away.

As has been said [previously, not all LBS' are good LBS' ....
  • baznav73
    baznav73 Posts: 111
    Problem with jobs like this for a LBS is the time required to do it, could easily take a couple of hours to cut it out and at 30-40 quid an hour it will soon rack up you can't blame them, people are always quick to moan about bike shops charging for there services but it's no different from any other service or industry.
    Every time my local garage plug in the code reader thats 40 quid thanks and we might note solve the problem and if you come back and we have to plug it in again to see if something else is wrong thats another 40 quid.
    Businesses have to make a living they invest lots of money in tools and premisis and staff.
    No this sort of job isn't difficult but they are very time consuming, have i done them in the workshop before yes i have and i have lost money on all of them, would i take one on again probably not if i did i would cost it at worst case and that could easily be 100 quid.
  • baznav73 wrote:
    Problem with jobs like this for a LBS is the time required to do it, could easily take a couple of hours to cut it out and at 30-40 quid an hour it will soon rack up you can't blame them, people are always quick to moan about bike shops charging for there services but it's no different from any other service or industry.
    Every time my local garage plug in the code reader thats 40 quid thanks and we might note solve the problem and if you come back and we have to plug it in again to see if something else is wrong thats another 40 quid.
    Businesses have to make a living they invest lots of money in tools and premisis and staff.
    No this sort of job isn't difficult but they are very time consuming, have i done them in the workshop before yes i have and i have lost money on all of them, would i take one on again probably not if i did i would cost it at worst case and that could easily be 100 quid.

+1
    left the forum March 2023