KE Travel - Geneva to Nice

thecm
thecm Posts: 71
edited December 2011 in Tour & expedition
I think we've decided on this one for next years hols, instead of an Etape or Marmotte trip (a bit late to organise now). Anybody been on the trip with them? Good/bad feedback?

Comments

• We're doing it ourselves.
    Hotel in Thonon Les Bains. pick up hotels on the way by going tourist office, hotel in Menton/Nice at the end.
    May even take lightweight tent, but hoping to avoid.
    "There are no hills, there is no wind, I feel no pain !"

"A bad day on the bike is always better than a good day in the office !"
  • thecm
    Eyorerox - have you any feedback on marmot tours? La Fuga prohibitively expensive!

CumbrianMan (who's sadly in exile in the flatlands by the look of your location) I'm happy to cycle tour but having really enjoyed doing the Raid Pyrennean as a supported ride I'd prefer to do this one the same way.
  • Cookie, no sorry, just want to do that ride myself.
  • Ive used Marmotte tours twice - their "classic pyrenees cols" trip last year and the raid pyrenian this year; they'll be my first choice if I were to do another supported trip like the raid alpine or corsica, so I'd give them a whole hearted recommendation.

They're nice people, great service, will go out of their way to make sure everything's good. Its run by a couple, James & Cathy, with a handful of regular guides/helpers, so has much more of a small outfit feel than a KE or Exodus. Some of the hotels they use in the Pyrenees can be a bit odd, but they're up front in that the look for places that are in good locations for cycling (which can limit things in the mountains), will do vast quantities of good solid food and have the basic amenities for cyclists - storage, hot showers, etc, all at a reasonable cost. I'd expect the same deal in the Alps

The only downsides arent particular to Marmotte, but those that come with supported tours. Depending on your abilities and the group you're with you may find that you take a lot more coffee breaks than you're used to, and have to wait for your bags at the end of the day while slower people make it in. It can be a little wearing if the weathers crap and you'd prefer just to batter through, be done with the cycling by 2pm so you can rest well and get a better day tomorrow when hopefully the weathers better. But thats the trade for having your kit carried in a van and avoiding any hassle of finding somewhere to sleep!

jon
  • thecm
    Thanks cookiemonster. Good feedback, I shall have a thorough look at the website