Buying at a LBS - what to wear / expect?

gsvbagpuss
gsvbagpuss Posts: 272
edited November 2011 in Road buying advice
Lucky old me, I'm in the market for a new road bike. I'm heading to my LBS for the first time soon but curious as to what to expect...

Will they let me test ride? On a trainer? Down the street?
I assume I should go suitably attired in Lycra, spd shoes etc?
What's the best way to get a deal?
Anything else I should know?!

Comments

• Pseudonym
    Pseudonym Posts: 1,032
    what did they say when you phoned them..?
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    This isn't rocket science, just go as you would if you were going for a ride. They're not going to care what you turn up in. But to replicate what you wear when you go out on an everyday ride, just wear what you normally would.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    If they havent a bike in your size - you may not want to go shopping in lycra ?

Visit them and see what they have and if suitable try a ride in civvies, or arrange to come back.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    The problem is that there is no real generic LBS, even the big chain ones can vary greatly from branch to branch. When I bought my first road bike it was sized up by getting me to stand over the bike, then sit on the saddle (which was not adjusted for height or fore/aft position) whilst propping myself against the wall so the chap could have a look to see how straight one of my arms was. Looking back, not the ideal way to spend £1,000 (and I still think I bought the wrong size). However, some shops are fantastic with a fitting jig setup and expert help on hand, also turbo trainers set up and a large range of bikes that you can go out for an hour or two on.

I think the advice above about popping in wearing civies and chatting to the folks is the best way. See what they have/don't have and see what you think about what they are saying (best done in reflection). When you know what your options are, arrange a quiet time to pop back along with some cycling kit (you might be able to take it in a bag and use their changing rooms to avoid scaring small children on the bus).

The best way to get a deal is to talk to them. They may have some ex-demo bikes that have hardly been used but cannot be sold as brand new, they may have over-ordered, etc. Usually advice though, caveat emptor, so be prepared to walk away if you are not convinced that the bike is the right one, irrespective of the price.
  • fizz
    fizz Posts: 483
    Pop in in your casual clothes, talk to the sales people have a wander around look at the stock they've got, also if you can have a peak into the workshop and see how that is kitted up / organised.

If theres something you like then as the others have said, arrange a quiet time to go back and have a more in depth chat, sit on the bike, get a bike fit etc etc.

This is what I did, My LBS the workshop is not seperated off from the rest of the store so you can watch the mechanics working, I had a good chat with the manager and the guy who did the bike fit, and then when I went for the bike fit I took my shoes and pedals with me and wore my bib shorts under my jeans so I could sit on the bike jig and get measured up properly.