newbie saying hi and a couple of quick questions

crispy1980
crispy1980 Posts: 310
edited December 2011 in MTB beginners
hi all, i have just bought a mountain bike after not riding since my early teens. its a gt aggresor. anyway, have a small issue with the gearing. ive looked at the guides but as im a total noob to it all i cant work out what needs adjusting. basically, the gears all seem to shift ok,but when im on the smallest front and rear cogs the chain catches on the front derralluer. as far as i can tell ( only ridden it once ) its only this gear that does it, which does make sense as its the position where the chain is at its most diagonal position. what do i need to adjust?

secondly, like a lunatic i was out riding today through some muddy woodland trails during the torrential downpour that we had here. i have been riding my other bike ( a cheapo appollo thing ) for the past month on canal paths/roads and thought i was getting a bit fitter but i have really struggled today in the mud. the tyres just dont seem to have any grip and i spent as much time off as i did on the bike as i was sliding about all over the place. now as i see it there are three possibilities :-

1. i am a very amateur mountain biker and i couldnt handle the conditions
2. the tyres are no good
3.i am expecting too much, after all i could hardly stand on some sections they were so slippy

Comments

• Hi mate, welcome.
    avoid using smallest to smallest and largest to largest gears, this causes as you rightly said the chain to rub on the front mech, what it also does is put extra pressure on the chain and potentially could snap.
  • oh right, didnt realise that. will avoid that in the future then. thanks for the speedy reply.
  • delcol
    delcol Posts: 2,848
    rule out the last 3 cogs at the rear if in small chainring
    middle ring should be good for all cogs
    rule out the first 3 (1-3) if in big chian rig..

as for riding in mud yes tyres can make a difference a good mud tyre will help, but so will experience just get out and get dirty it's the best way to learn....
  • i will certainly be back out next week! all the up hill slipping and sliding was worth it for the downhill section at the end of it. went WAY quicker than i though i would and dont really know how i stayed on the bike, there was some brown pants moments! only down side is i got to the bottom and realised id lost my trip computer somewhere on the way,had to push the bike all the way back up and most of the way round my route to find it! doh!
  • 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    All 3 of your points could apply,

1) you will get better just keep at it.
    2) change your tyres to mud tyres or a good all rounder like Maxxis High roller/ Ardent
    3) propably but thats the fun of riding.
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • The sign of a good day out on a mountain bike - brown pants on the inside and the outside :wink:

If you didn't learn anything today, you weren't paying attention!
  • there are a couple of guys at work who ride and ive arranged to go to cannock chase with them soon so that will be a real test. cant wait!
  • 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    crispy1980 wrote:
    there are a couple of guys at work who ride and ive arranged to go to cannock chase with them soon so that will be a real test. cant wait!

Enjoy it and keep us posted!
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • Pudseyp
    Pudseyp Posts: 3,514
    Did you bike the bike new ? if so the cables will stretch so most bike shops after a few weeks offer a free cable adjustment.
    I would deffo look at some new tyres, but don't think big fat tyres are better in gloopy mud ! thinner tyres cut through the mud to give you better traction and grip...

Maxxis High Rollers, Panaracer Fire XC, and Nobby Nics are good tyres for all conditions
    Tomac Synper 140 Giant XTC Alliance 1
    If the world was flat, I wouldn't be riding !