Anthem wieght loss program!!

sellisnba
sellisnba Posts: 181
edited November 2011 in MTB general
Forgive me if this this is the wrong place,
I am currently riding a anthem x5 2011 and i love it :D although i have never been wone to worry about bike weight i feel my ride would benefit from a diet. It's totally stock at the moment. I was wondering where would be the best place to start. I'm not lookinng to change the frame shock or forks because i cannot justify the outlay.
Some pointers would be helpful.
Cheers guys.

P.S Is tubeless the way to go or not.

Comments

• lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    wheels and tyres are the best place to start if you dont want to fork out for new forks and shocks

(i'll get my coat :oops: )

without any idea of your budget, its hard to recommend much, how much are you looking to spend? :)
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Negligible weight saving going tubeless.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • changing saddle is a good starting point can save 100grams easy and cheaply then its just a case of knocking the weight off here and there, cranks, cassette,stem,pedals, new hoops, you can go tubeless i found i lost about 75 grams per wheel, all these little things will add up but it costs, you got a light enough frame though so thats the main thing, rear shocks are roughly about the same, can lose nearly 200 grams on lightweight forks but its big money to change them, when i bought my anthem first things i changed were saddle and wheels then as and when things wore out
    anthem x with many upgrades
  • lawman makes a good point, tyres are a great way to save weight can save 300 grams or more easy on a pair of light weight tyres
    anthem x with many upgrades
  • kenan
    kenan Posts: 952
    Changing from lock-on grips to foam ones save a quick 100g for £10, bargain.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Sell and buy the X0 ;-)
  • bluechair84
    bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
    welcome to the world of negligable gains ;)

Start at wheels and tyres a la Lawman. Weight lost here will make a bigger difference than getting a saddle with ti rails...
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Tyres are definitely a good bang for buck (up to 250g a tyre I am guessing). You could also consider:

Cranks - going to XT will save around a 100g.
    Wheels - only a guess but moving to a set of american classics probably around 400g
    Cassette - surprisingly good loss of around 150g to move to XT
    Bars - probably around 100g to go carbon
    Stem and seatpost, again 100g per to move to something high spec
    Brakes - not much weight to be saved Im afraid, but moving to XT would give you massive power gains.
    Saddle - even spending £30 will probably get you 100g or more.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • Lots of cost for minimal weight gain though, depends what you can justify spending! I could lose all that saved weight with a big visit to the toilet before I ride :o
    Riding a Merida FLX Carbon Team D Ultralite Nano from Mike at Ace Ultra Cycles, Wednesfield, Wolverhampton 01902 725444
  • What with your name, never!
  • Thanks for all the replys.
    I decided to weight a few bits last night
    The bike without any wheels on came in at around 19 lbs and with the wheels on a smidge under 30lbs :shock:
    With this in mind i weighed the wheels with the tyre disc and qr the front was 2000g and the rear was 2750g. just a moment ago i weighed the front with nothing on 1050g?
    I think i'll wait until i have worn the wheelset out until i upgrade them, seems a lot of cash for a minimal weight loss.
    Budget is also very low at the moment so the upgrades may have to wait.

LAWMAN.. Nice guitar in the avatar, I have just invested in a les paul and love it :D
  • Thing with weight is not to get too hung up on it. Whe buying something new that's just worn out and not brocken then go for something lighter. 50grams here and there 9 times makes 1 Ib
  • sellisnba wrote:
    Thanks for all the replys.
    I decided to weight a few bits last night
    The bike without any wheels on came in at around 19 lbs and with the wheels on a smidge under 30lbs :shock:
    With this in mind i weighed the wheels with the tyre disc and qr the front was 2000g and the rear was 2750g. just a moment ago i weighed the front with nothing on 1050g?
    I think i'll wait until i have worn the wheelset out until i upgrade them, seems a lot of cash for a minimal weight loss.
    Budget is also very low at the moment so the upgrades may have to wait.

LAWMAN.. Nice guitar in the avatar, I have just invested in a les paul and love it :D

If the front alone is 1050g, you can easily shed around 3-400 grams there. A wheelset I had priced up at my LBS for under 500 Euros ( were very expensive here, was weighed at 1630 grams for the pair.

Lots of weight to be saved there, and with other tires you can easily drop a KG off.