Too much Compression on Rear shock?

freddy-b
freddy-b Posts: 24
edited December 2011 in MTB general
Hey,

I Recently bought a Specialized Stumpjumper FSR expert.

I notice that when i bunny hop the fork compresses itself a lot, i can see that with the o ring that the shock has on it.

It leaves a something like a 0.3cm distance from the end of the shock. And i feel a that the shock hits the end.

The sag is at 25% of the shock.

i weigh 53Kg

What should i do?

Thanks,

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Ride it.

Sag set in the normal riding position/attack position?

As do you mean shock or fork? You mention both.

And you do not mean compression as that controlls the speed it compresses thorough it's travel not how much travel it moves.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • I have a Stumpy Evo and although I had the Sag setup correctly I still needed to put in a few extra PSI.

Best thing to do is have a play and take a shock pump out with you and see what works for you.

I'm still playing!
    2011 Specialized Stumpjumper Expert Evo
    08 Scott Scale 60 - http://i797.photobucket.com/albums/yy25 ... CF2299.jpg
  • nicklouse wrote:
    Ride it.

Sag set in the normal riding position/attack position?

As do you mean shock or fork? You mention both.

And you do not mean compression as that controlls the speed it compresses thorough it's travel not how much travel it moves.

sorry, i mean the shock..

and yes sag is set at 25% the normal position.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Try experimenting with the sag - around 20% and see how it feels.
    But suspension should bottom now and again, or it's not all being used, and if the bike is handling properly it doesn't matter what it 'looks' like.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    I believe this model is fitted with brain fade. This is similar to propedal, you can make the shock firmer by turning the blue dial on the remote "brain" unit clockwise, the alternative is to up the pressure in the can and tune the fade the otherway. I'd start with a firmer brain, but if it gets unresponsive you might want to try the reverse.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    freddy-b wrote:
    i weigh 53Kg

What should i do?

Eat more pies & drink more beer!
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • If it's a Fox Shock check the info that is printed on the shock as the Velocity Tune may say L if it does this maybe the problem which means the shock has been set up light, if this is the case as on my mates bike you can either increase the PSI or Mojo can change the Velocity Tune to M obviously Medium for about £35

Giant work with Fox and do this Rear Shock set up on some of there bikes and I don't understand why because it's always to soft for average weight riders in the UK. My mate rang Mojo by the way and they said just increase the pressure, the common understanding is roughly 1PSI for every 1LB you weigh then just minor adjusting needed but he has put in 230PSI and weighs only 175LBs but the bike is fine now
    Zesty 514 Scott Scale 20 GT Expert HalfwayupMTB
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Stu Coops wrote:
    the common understanding is roughly 1PSI for every 1LB you weigh
    sorry but total rubbish. a Common Missunderstanding is more acurate

just add what you need to get the sag you want and then adjust.

give same weight and same shock a bike with a 1:1 ratio suspension will not have the same pressure as a 2:1 or a 3:1 suspension system.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • nicklouse wrote:
    Stu Coops wrote:

give same weight and same shock a bike with a 1:1 ratio suspension will not have the same pressure as a 2:1 or a 3:1 suspension system.

Couldn't agree with you more as I was led to believe this until my mate stuck 230 PSI in his, so no dispute from me on this one.
    Zesty 514 Scott Scale 20 GT Expert HalfwayupMTB
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    By pure coincidence it comes up to within 10psi of the right answer for me.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    diy wrote:
    By pure coincidence it comes up to within 10psi of the right answer for me.
    As nicklouse said above, (and for the benefit of anyone else) this really will be pure coincidence. Different bikes have massively different ratios of wheel:shock movement.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • nicklouse wrote:
    Stu Coops wrote:

Sorry.. but i cant really understand this..

can you give me an example?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Leverage. If the leverage ratio is 2:1 the shock would need be firmer than 1:1.
    It's not something you have to think about. Just set up your bike for you.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools