Trek Fuel

Jgb1
Jgb1 Posts: 50
edited November 2011 in MTB buying advice
I am after some advice please.

I have never ridden a full suspension before but went to look at a second hand Trek Fuel 7 hoping to buy it but when I had a ride it just felt really low on the back end like the peddles weren’t far from the ground and the bars were really high. Is this a normal riding position for these bikes or does it need setting up? It seems the correct size just felt a bit like riding a chopper although that is also confusing with Virtual/Actual size.

Comments

• DodgeT
    DodgeT Posts: 2,255
    Did you check the pressure of the rear shock, might have been no / not enough air in it ? Assuming of course that the bike was the right sort of size for you.
  • Pudseyp
    Pudseyp Posts: 3,514
    It sounds like the rear shock needed air.....full suspension bikes need to be set around the riders weight...when setting the rear up there is a thing called SAG...this is when you put your full weight on the bike and the rear piston on the unit compresses...the correct SAG is usualy a third of the stroke of the piston. So normally you measure the external piston with no weight on the bike so lets say 300mm..you then pump air into the can so when you sit on the bike you can only see 200mm.

As for the bars the current owner may have riser bars...

It sounds like it just needs setting up correctly...if viewing again see if the owner has a shock pump and try and set it to your weight and ensure the can holds air.
    Tomac Synper 140 Giant XTC Alliance 1
    If the world was flat, I wouldn't be riding !
  • Jgb1
    I didnt no, like I said I've not even tried one before. Is this an easy fix or could the shock be faulty?
    I am 6'1 and the bike is a 18.5/19.5 and it felt ok apart from the strange riding position.
  • Jgb1
    Pudseyp wrote:
    It sounds like the rear shock needed air.....full suspension bikes need to be set around the riders weight...when setting the rear up there is a thing called SAG...this is when you put your full weight on the bike and the rear piston on the unit compresses...the correct SAG is usualy a third of the stroke of the piston. So normally you measure the external piston with no weight on the bike so lets say 300mm..you then pump air into the can so when you sit on the bike you can only see 200mm.

As for the bars the current owner may have riser bars...

It sounds like it just needs setting up correctly...if viewing again see if the owner has a shock pump and try and set it to your weight and ensure the can holds air.

Yes he has the shock pump so I will ask him to put some air in and retry.

Will the air come straight out if there is a leak or does it happen over time?
  • DodgeT
    Depends, one LBS told me that shocks need to be regularly topped up - not that i've found that with mine but you never know. Or he may have been a racing snake and you a wrestler :D
    Sizewise sounds about OK, i'm 6'1 and that was the size what suited me.
  • DodgeT
    If its seriously bad then will prob leak straight away, that might also lead you to think why though, ie has it been abused etc. Also depends on age of bike of course.
  • Jgb1
    DodgeT wrote:
    If its seriously bad then will prob leak straight away, that might also lead you to think why though, ie has it been abused etc. Also depends on age of bike of course.

I dont think that it has been abused. It is two years old but apart from a couple of scratches on the fork it looks great.

I will ask him to put some air in and try it again.

Thanks for the advice! :)
  • I have a 2011 fuel ex 7 and it does feel "low" at the back even though the sag on the rear shock is at around 25%.

It might just be that your used to a hard tail? But next time you try it check the how much sag there is and of course ask him to top up the shock if it's too much.

It's an amazing piece of kit out on the trail, so If all is well with it then I'm sure you'll love it :D

Good luck
  • *AL*
    *AL* Posts: 1,185
    Jgb1 wrote:
    I am 6'1 and the bike is a 18.5/19.5

I'm 6'0" and ride a 18.5/19.5 EX9, so the size is about spot on.

The rear shock has a clip on sag gauge, so setting it up is child's play.

Video HERE

Suspension calculator HERE
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Try a few more FS (any type) just to see if it's just you. First time I rode one I hated it, felt loose and floppy. Now I wouldn't ride anything else. (FS I mean).
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools