SPD or Crank Brothers

hobbo31
hobbo31 Posts: 107
edited December 2011 in MTB buying advice
Help currently riding with SPD's but thinking of changing to Crank Brothers, has anyone got ant thoughts on with are the best ?
Giant Trance X1 2008
Gary Fisher Cobia 29er 2010
Ribble Road Bike
Giant XTC Composite 29er 2012
Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0 2015

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Flats, but I guess that doesn't help at all.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Which Crank Brothers pedals are you thinking? I had Egg Beaters but hated them...I struggled to get in and out of them and they caused me more than one crash. I now have Shimano XT M780's and I'm loving them, so I suppose my answer would be SPD's
  • delcol
    delcol Posts: 2,848
    crankbros 50/50....

what do you mean by spd or crankbros.. if you mean clipless pedals by crankbrothers then if you prepared to rebuild them every 8-12 months then go for them.... personally i would go for shimano.... but i aint a fan of the devils pedals on my mtbs i prefare flats.....
    i use shimano devils pedals on my road bike though...
  • Do you know what SPD stands for?
  • i started out on CB Candy's. they dont have adjustable tension lke the Shimano's, but they dpo have a Greater degree of float in the system, they wear in nicely in half a dozen to a dozen rides, Never once had trouble clipping in despite being in Deep mud a few times!
    Yes the older ones Bearings Wear Very quickly, but they have semi rectified that with the newer designs and now have a bearing either end rather than singular and a bushing! that said, the rebuild kits arent bad at £12ish and then they'll feel like new! mine used to last 12-18months of heavy footed use before needing a rebuild,

For a beginner to SPD/clipless world then i'd say start with shimano's, then when confident upgrade to either CB's or Time's, - time offer more float too but are a Much stiffer feel when clipped in, but generally, Cb's look the best! (in the grand scheme of things, Looks Really do matter! hahahah!)
    Timmo.
    After all, I am Cornish!
    http://cornwallmtb.kk5.org/
    Cotic Soul, The bike of Legends!:wink: Yes, I Am a bike tart!
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... 1#16297481
  • Just swapped from SPDs to Crank Brothers Mallets and can't see myself going back any time soon. Much prefer the ease of release and engagement of the Crank Bros. Love the big platform and pins (support and good looks!). Like the extra float and am just surprised that they feel so positive with quite so much float and ease of use. I'm a convert.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • hobbo31
    hobbo31 Posts: 107
    Thanks for all that, lostbotsaint that's what I want big platform with pins, also ride on flats with Five Tens, so might get some Crank bros and see how it go's
    Giant Trance X1 2008
    Gary Fisher Cobia 29er 2010
    Ribble Road Bike
    Giant XTC Composite 29er 2012
    Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0 2015
  • I hated SPD's and couldn't get on with them. I found CB's much better and really like them. I still ride flats as well, but using the CB's more and more tbh
  • I bought the Crank Bros candy off CRC last year for 13 quid and they have been fine up until now: The spring system seems to be not as tight as it used to be is now quite a loose connection... Might this just be that I need new cleats or what? Otherwise great pedals for me :)

Cheers
    Swveeeet¡¡¡
  • Yes spring's lost tension or new cleats required.
  • baznav73
    baznav73 Posts: 111
    Do you know what SPD stands for?
    Shimano pedaling dynamics
  • gregwari
    gregwari Posts: 230
    Ride with CB Candys on the Anthem and egg beaters on the hardtail, love both but would by the Candys over the egg beaters when I replace. Bearings have been an issue in the past, newer candy's seem to be more reliable though. Had mine a year, no problems to report. Never tried Shimano's, never felt the need to change from CB's
  • i have CB candys the older version with plastic housing and they are fine, easy to clip ini and out though i find they tend to wear through cleats very quickly compared thi shimano ones my friends have.

id go with something that has a platform on them ie 520s or candys first then move onto the eggbeaters
    London2Brighton Challange 100k!
    http://www.justgiving.com/broxbourne-runners