Garmin Edge Question

bilsea159
bilsea159 Posts: 256
edited December 2011 in Road beginners
I recently purchased the edge 200 which so far has exceded my expectations and I am happily using it as a training aid. I have downloaded routes to it from Garmin connect and my question is, if I download someones route will the "breadcrumb" point navigation system navigate me to join the course. I ask because I have downloaded a route that someone has uploaded from the same town as me and I would like to try the route.

Comments

• bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    Not used the 200, but the 800 asks if you want to navigate to the start of the course, good luck
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    No. Neither will a 500. You need the 800 with mapping for that. It will tell you how far and in which direction you are from the start though.
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    bilsea159 wrote:
    I recently purchased the edge 200 which so far has exceded my expectations and I am happily using it as a training aid. I have downloaded routes to it from Garmin connect and my question is, if I download someones route will the "breadcrumb" point navigation system navigate me to join the course. I ask because I have downloaded a route that someone has uploaded from the same town as me and I would like to try the route.

I bought a Garmin 500 earlier this year wwhen they were on offer with a view to using it for navigation. I hadn't realised that you needed the 800... Anyway, it is possible to navigate with the 500 (and I assume the 200), just more difficult. The 500 and 200 will not design a route for you though, so if you need to get to the start of someone else's route, you'll have to plot your own course to that start point and then follow the other person's route from there...
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • richa
    richa Posts: 1,632
    Need it navigate to the start yourself. But. It is your home town, and you can zoom right out so you can see where you are aiming. Shouldn't be too difficult to find the breadcrumb trail. I have a 500 (and a 205 before that) and can navigate pre determined routes no problems.
    Rich
  • the 705 will do this - use it a lot with course imported off a Gamin connect generation
  • I find it more reliable to take someones route, and recreate in bikeroutetoaster, which gives the turn by turn directions you are probably looking for. The problem with previous mapped routes is that they are just a sequence of data points with no navigational directions between each.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Am I missing something? Surely you just plot a route to the start point and download it to the unit..........
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Gizmodo
    Gizmodo Posts: 1,928
    Rolf F wrote:
    Am I missing something? Surely you just plot a route to the start point and download it to the unit..........
    I agree Rolf, just use a service like http://Www.ridewithgps.com or http://Www.biketoaster.com to draw a route to your desired start point, then upload it to your device.