Hope Bulb front hub

bozboy0
bozboy0 Posts: 6
edited December 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
I am trying to convert my 20mm Hope front Bulb to QR. I contacted Hope yesterday and they said they had no convertion kits in stock but were thinking of doing a production run next year. Are there any alternatives apart from getting some some forks witha maxle fitting. Thx :o

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    yes lots of options new fork is one.

new wheel is another.

or put an advert in the classifieds.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    buy a conversion kit from a bike shop? I'm sure there must be one somewhere that will have one in stock.
  • Believe it or not I tried the bike shops/trawled the internet, before contacting Hope. Why fork out money to replace perfectly good forks (scues the pun)when I need a bolt for £15.
  • Been thinking !!, Would it be possible to machine some 20mm diameter alloy billet or plastic come to that, as its not load bearing, just a spacer, with a hole in the middle to take a 9mm qr axle (could do 15mm as well). This would not only fit the bulbs but any other other hub as well with 20mm maxle. Anyone think of any reason why not, I'm sure there must be otherwise someone would have done it.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    of cause it would be. as that is all Hope will do. but you will not get it done for £15.
    and yes there is some load bearing to be done as (design depending)will fit inside the bearings.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • The load bearing would be done by the qr metal axle, which could then press fit inside a Delrin tube to take it to 12/ 15 mm OD, and that could then be a slide fit to go into 20mm OD Delrin tube. Reasonable light weight solution, I thought.
    Ideal if you swap your wheels around to different forks. This would be dual purpose, and would work on most larger sized axle hubs.
    The point is a Hope Conversion could be £2.50, but if there's none available what do you do?

I'll see if I can knock a few out and test them over the winter.