Carbon Orange 5

mook_1975
mook_1975 Posts: 4
edited November 2011 in MTB general
First post on this forum but I have been over on another forum for a fair while(they are a bit SNOBLIKE :? )
I have been up the Peak again this weekend 2nd time ,Cut Gate and have seen the same bike every time.
I'm pretty convinced its a Carbon framed Orange 5 does anyone know anything or if its from another manufacturer as it just looks pretty damn good TBH I have searched the internet for single pivot carbon and nothing comes up apart from some old frames from proflex and they look nothing like it ,also surely someone can point me in the direction of white disc rotors , google searched and again nothing.
I was ridiculed for asking over on the other site so maybe someone on here might be able to help or maybe im just dreaming,though I'm sure I was awake I would love a single pivot bike a carbon one would be nice,Did try stopping the guy but he rather rudely skirted round our group.

Comments

• RevellRider
    RevellRider Posts: 1,794
    If Orange are working on a carbon Five they haven't given the dealers a sneak peek. There are plans for a 29er version, but running less travel and they have released the Carb-O road bike because it was easier to produce a carbon road bike than a mountain bike.
  • If Orange are working on a carbon Five they haven't given the dealers a sneak peek. There are plans for a 29er version, but running less travel and they have released the Carb-O road bike because it was easier to get a chinese carbon road bike than a mountain bike.

Corrected for accuracy.

Mook, how about it just being a black 5? ;)
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    Carb-O

I hope it doesnt look anything like that, truly an awful road bike.

If you want a single pivot carbon bike, Santa Cruz do one I think. Blur Carbon

santacruz_blur_lt_carbon_bike.jpg
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Blur is VPP ain't it? Is there a carbon SuperLight though?
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    blur is indeed vpp, in terms of a straight single pivot, i.e. a swingarm and a shock, no linkages etc, i can't think of one
  • styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    Yeh, it looks like it. Dont know whether the SL comes in a carbon model.

I cant think of any Single pivot carbon frames then!
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    Could it be just the paint job that makes him think its carbon?
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • ploeb
    ploeb Posts: 19
    ive got a carbon single pivot bike, at least the front is carbon! Its made by Cannondale, its called a Rush, they dont sell them anymore, but they were quite popular for years. It doesnt look like a Orange 5 tho...
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Damn, I was just about to suggest Cannondale!
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    There was a thread on STW earlier this year on what might be the same bike, concensus there was that it was probably a Proflex K2. Orange have apparently confirmed they're not working on any carbon frames (at least, not any more than flicking through a catalogue and saying "I want that one")
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Maybe he's bought some of that carbon sticky back plastic stuff and covered his bike in it :p

:lol:
  • Ah thanks for the replies guestimates folks, I posted the same question over on STW but I find you have to be in the in crowd or ready for an argument :D I cant complain though it is the internet,I'm not new to biking but have been out of it for a good 8 or 9 years and used to wrench in a shop in sheffield when I was at Uni.
    Its definitely not a K2 we used to sell them .The shock was horizontal so it kind of rules the Commencal out though I did kind of think it myself.

I figured with this being a bigger site someone might know something, I just cant really get the idea of it out of my head ,Kind of like when you were growing up and saw a klein and wanted one because they were rare, I haven't seen anything like it other than an orange ,No stickers definitely looks swoopy or rounded but equally like a big down tube 5 or Patriot.

The only thing I have found is an internet post saying some guy had a carbon swing arm for a 5 and a picture of a bike from years and years ago that some university guy made in conjunction with them ,trawling the retrobike forum looking at old bikes :oops: yep I like to waste time,sad I know.

Well if you guys are stumped then back to trawling the web.
  • Why don't you ask the rider?
  • Why don't you ask the rider?

Never had chance fella, always coming down as we are going up to the trig mound at the top of the hill(cant remember it's name)and at my age and ability I think slim to zero chance of catching it or him(but now you have planted the seed LOL). Nearly as bad as asking random strangers on t'interweb I suppose.

It is bloody good riding though round there I only used to do the usual Mam Tor etc from Woodbine Cafe when I was living round there never even heard of Cut Gate
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Not a Whyte 146? I know it's not single pivot, but it's got a horizontal-ish shock and a high, fat swingarm.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."