Yeti SB-66c release date

cat_with_no_tail
cat_with_no_tail Posts: 12,981
edited December 2011 in MTB general
So far, I've googled, and looked on their site, and I still can't seem to find any hints as to:

A. when the SB66c will be released
and
B. estimated price

I'm thinking probably about £2.5k for the frame.

Feeling a bit flush and am considering pre-ordering one for a long term build while I'm recovering.

Comments

• lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    So far, I've googled, and looked on their site, and I still can't seem to find any hints as to:

and
    B. estimated price

Feeling a bit flush and am considering pre-ordering one for a long term build while I'm recovering.

gonna be atleast april, even if you pre-order today according to yeti on MTBR, they're forum is really useful, definitely worth keeping up with, as for price, gonna be more like £2600-2700 judging by the yankie prices :shock:

all of which a crying shame, they are lovely frames, better off with a mojo :wink:
  • DCR00
    DCR00 Posts: 2,160
    for that sort of money id rather have a carbon Pivot Mach

i like the Yeti, a lot, but thats crazy money for a frame
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Especially one that only got three stars....
    http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... -11-45553/
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • I want to see how they fair long term. The BR review was changed the other week and downgraded for some reason.
  • bails87
    Unfortunately what it doesn’t do like the best 6in bikes is feel massively composed and controlled when you start ploughing into the big stuff.

It’s not that the suspension doesn’t work – it works too well. Even at shock pressures close to the recommended 300psi maximum we were blowing through the travel on kerb-sized lumps. Anything bigger or higher and it properly walloped out, generally at the expense of yet another pinch flat at the rear
    Sounds great :wink:
    MTB/CX

• VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    Wait for the 29er version :wink:
    like this one
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I think this is the most over hyped bike of all time! For 2.7k I'd want it to be 5lbs in weight.
  • VWsurfbum
    i think its a bargain :lol: but it is pretty :wink:
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • That review is so odd. Calling it a 575 at one point, getting through all the travel on a kerb-sized hit... then again, it's reviewed at a demo day along with hundreds of other riders testing it, so you have to wonder what real grounds they have for a proper write up! Not to deny that its a hyped bike (full disclosure: I own the alu frame on a custom build) and is probably due a more grounded rating than most so far, it just seems like a weirdly done article. And yeah, pulled off the site in less than 24 hours after going on the front page, article removed, then replaced, still in the print mag, contradicts the 'first ride' impressions of a month or two earlier. Just a bit odd. I see there's comments explaining much of this on there now, which is fair enough, and they've edited out the bit calling it a 575!
  • supersonic
    There is a longer term review underway as MBUK/WMB have another on test. It appears the test bike here had a faulty shock.
  • lawman
    supersonic wrote:
    I think this is the most over hyped bike of all time! For 2.7k I'd want it to be 5lbs in weight.

i ashamedly have to agree here, it looks incredible, but it its over-priced, abit heavy and its still abit unknown whether it works as well or not as it should, having not ridden it yet (i do intend to at somepoint), im just going on what ive read. A mojo HD would always be my choice personally :wink:
  • supersonic
    We have come as far as we can with linkages and suspension. We know how sus works - we understand the concepts of instant centre, feedback, anti squat and so on. There is nothing new that can be done here except make stuff stiffer, lighter, and maybe smoother. There is no one system that works best, as the rider varies so much. The eccentric pivot here is purely to get around patents - it doesn't do anything different! It is a four bar susser.
  • DCR00
    isnt it a single pivot with a fancy pivot section ?
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    supersonic wrote:
    it doesn't do anything different! It is a four bar susser.
    that cant be right, its a yeti, there supposed to be magical mythical things like unicorns and mermaids :lol:
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • supersonic
    DCR00 wrote:
    isnt it a single pivot with a fancy pivot section ?

It looks that way, but the eccentric section behaves like a link, and the upper link controls the movement so get a virtual pivot point.
    that cant be right, its a yeti, there supposed to be magical mythical things like unicorns and mermaids :lol:

hehe!
  • Butbutbut... they have those graphs and everything! :)
  • hmmm, my last post seems to have been removed :s

The yeti is just 1 of several on the shortlist.

It *may* turn out to be overpriced and overrated, but I wanted to try it anyway because most reviewers did rave about it (and yes, I'm well aware they do the same with the 5 *shudders*).

I want to try a good few frames and see if any of them out-perform my Edison. If they do, I'll take it. I not, I'll come up with a different project.

The Pivot Mach 5.7 Carbon is currently top of my list of frames to try out. It's a 5lb frame, far cheaper than the Yeti, looks great, and gets nothing but great reviews.
  • VWsurfbum
    I like the look of the Pivot but its hardly a new design.
    [deleted by mod due to malware from bikereviews . com. Please DO NOT embed images from this site]
    Garry fisrer from Circa 2002
    image2.aspx?w=300&h=300&filename=2002%20Fisher%20Sugar%203%20Disc.jpg&f=Photos
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • Hype and silliness aside, I don't understand much of the technical nitty gritty with these things. What I can say is the SB-66 made me sell my hardtail, because after blasting around on this I realised I would never wish I was on the other bike even when climbing. But I'm still trying to dial in my settings to be able to plummet with as much confidence as I could on my Spicy 916 before it broke. I think it's just a setup issue with my handlebars and controls rather than some intrinsic problem with the frame or shock, but time will tell. Meantime it's quite fun getting a lot of other riders wanting to have a look at it and ask questions every time I go out.

Also, I miss my Cube Ltd Pro a little bit just because it was so damn pretty.
  • DCR00
    The Pivot Mach 5.7 Carbon is currently top of my list of frames to try out. It's a 5lb frame, far cheaper than the Yeti, looks great, and gets nothing but great reviews.

if you get one of these, i will hate you
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,415

and
    B. estimated price

I gave the alloy version some serious consideration until the lack of availability of a test bike in my size and the lead times on frame orders hacked me off. TBH I'm glad I bought a Spicy instead, mainly because I'm not missing out on some good riding :)

If you are going to order one, get you order in as soon as it's released otherwise you might only get it after you've recovered from your leg op...

You're probably not far wrong on the price, though may be a bit higher as it seems the alloy has had a price hike lately.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • lawman
    the pivot is nice, light, good geometry, and will be cheaper than the yeti, and you dont see many around, the black and green is colour is sweeeet as well 8) what bikes are on your list CWNT?? be interesting to hear what you're considering :)
  • bails87
    Mmmmm, that pivot is lurvely! Well reviewed too http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/gear/categ ... -12-45549/
    MTB/CX

• DCR00
    http://www.mbaction.com/Main/News/Pivot ... ue_24.aspx

"The bike needs nothing. Honestly, this is a bike we could ride untouched for the next five years."
  • Well, so far I'm looking at such lovelies as:

Pivot Mach 5.7
    Yeti SB66c
    Intense Carbine
    SC Blur ltc

I wouldn't mind getting my hands on a Cannondale Jekyll carbon to try, see how the travel adjust works.

It's an early list. :)

Looking for around 150mm travel, but want it frame only as I've got some specific bits in mind for it.
  • lawman
    Well, so far I'm looking at such lovelies as:

Pivot Mach 5.7
    Yeti SB66c
    Intense Carbine
    SC Blur ltc

I wouldn't mind getting my hands on a Cannondale Jekyll carbon to try, see how the travel adjust works.

It's an early list. :)

Looking for around 150mm travel, but want it frame only as I've got some specific bits in mind for it.

you mean you arent looking at a mojo?! :shock: *shakes head in disgust*

without being biased, thats a decent list tbf, although i personally wouldnt bother with the blur LTc, TRc yes, but the Ltc seems abit dated tbh, too steep imo, of the bikes listed i'd have the pivot or the intense, most likely the intense tbh, i do love the carbine 8) would still have my HD over all of them though :P

EDIT: actually, forget the intense, it has a pressfit bb and no iscg tabs... and that is just plain wrong for a bike like that, pivot have a mount coming similar to the system on the sb66 though
  • VWsurfbum
    could i throw in the Genius LT?
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • VWsurfbum wrote:
    could i throw in the Genius LT?

No you bIoody can't!

seriously though, tested an 09 genius and couldn't get on with it. Spent an entire day just trying to get the damned thing set up properly and still couldn't get it to feel right. Genius LT would be too long (fnar fnar).

I'm odd like that, I'm quite particular with my suspension setup, can't get on with fox forks either, no matter what I do with them they're either too prone to terrible brake dive, or too firm.

Mojo sits right either side with 140 on the regular and 160 on the HD. I did very much enjoy the regular one I tested last year (as I may have mentioned), and the HD remains an option, want to try these others too though to get a better idea.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,415
    If you're going to blow that much cash on a bike then the Spicy 916 has to be worth a look - 2012 model is carbon framed and XTR spec with some bling finishing kit. OK its got 10mm more travel than what you want but doubt you'd ever notice it.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • If I'm going to blow that sort of money, I want a bike with bits I like.

Don't like fox forks
    Would choose X0 over XT/XTR
    Would choose a reverb over the KS post.