Witnesses of cyclist accident in Bethnal Green?

londonlivvy
londonlivvy Posts: 644
edited November 2011 in Commuting chat
I was on the train yesterday (I know... burn her!) and saw this article requesting witnesses to an accident in Bethnal Green on June 21st and thought I'd see if anyone on here had been passing through the area.

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard/ ... -battle.do

Text of the article is as follows :
Peter McGreal, a graphic designer and trade union representative at London Metropolitan University, died four days after being hit in Bethnal Green on his way to work at 8.30am on June 21.

Mr McGreal, 44, had been cycling from his home in Walthamstow to the Jewry Street campus near Aldgate.

He was the 10th cyclist to be killed in the capital this year and the fifth fatality involving an HGV. Since then, the figures have risen to 16 deaths, including seven involving HGVs.

Mr McGreal's partner Amanda Baker today appealed for witnesses so that her lawyers can pursue a civil action to help the couple's daughter, who she did not wish to name.

Michelle Sutton of Fentons Solicitors LLP, which is handling the case for the family, said they still did not have a full picture of what happened. She said: "If we are to secure the future care of the couple's daughter, we urgently need witnesses to come forward with their description of what happened. Peter's family are still suffering the aftermath of losing their loved one. We are hoping people will come forward and help us to secure the help they need right now and also in the future."

The collision took place at the junction of Hackney Road and Pritchard's Road. The lorry drove off but the vehicle and the driver were later traced.

A man in his fifties was arrested on suspicion of causing death by careless driving and bailed to return to an east London police station next month.

Anyone with information should contact Miss Sutton at Fentons Solicitors LLP on 0161 238 6408 or email michelle.sutton@fentons.co.uk