OT pressure cookers

SimonAH
SimonAH Posts: 3,730
edited December 2011 in Commuting chat
The bread machine revealed that we are a culinary lot.

What about pressure cookers? I'm tempted to add one to the kitchen arsenal.
FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Comments

• walkingbootweather
    walkingbootweather Posts: 2,443
    edited November 2011
    If you can afford to buy extravagant and un-necessary kitchen gadgets like bread-makers and pressure cookers you clearly have too much disposable income. Clearly the government should introduce a kitchen gadget tax to fund cash-strapped public services. :wink:

Think we may have been given one as a wedding present. May have used it twice, so not the right person to ask.

[Edit] Thinking about it, I'm sure its a slow cooker not a pressure cooker we have. Who'd of thought my contribution was even less useful than it first appeared. I'll go an boil my head in whatever cooker we have.... :oops:
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    Very useful bit of gear if you like pot roast - also good for beans if you start with dried ones (i.e., saves ages in the boiling).
    One half leg of lamb
    Chopped carrots and parsnips
    Load of baby onions (AKA shallots)
    Bottle of cheap red wine
    Salt and pepper
    Give it a thorough go in the pressure cooker, take out all the solid stuff and make gravy out of the liquid. Perfect on a cold day
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    i've mused over a pressure cooker in the past but not entirely sure what benefits they offer over a slow cooker which i've already got, also what's the difference?
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,702
    Isn't it just you can boil stuff at a higher temperature?
  • SimonAH

Yup, higher pressure = higher boiling point = much faster cooking. Very good for making poor quality meat tender and juicy I understand.

We've also got a slow cooker but I find it really annoying to get the timing right - start it in the morning for dinner on the weekend and it's often not long enough. Run it overnight and it's too long.....grump.

• Its a bit like the opposite of a slow cooker really. By cooking at higher temperatures you can cook things faster without burning it. I use mine for stews and rice dishes like jambalya where everything is all cooked in one large pan.

Works for me and also makes a useful really big pan for vats of mulled wine and the like at parties.
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    SimonAH wrote:

Yup, higher pressure = higher boiling point = much faster cooking. Very good for making poor quality meat tender and juicy I understand.

We've also got a slow cooker but I find it really annoying to get the timing right - start it in the morning for dinner on the weekend and it's often not long enough. Run it overnight and it's too long.....grump.

Oh i see. Why don't you put the slow cooker on a timer? If it hasn't got one built in just use one of those plug in timers that you can use to switch your lights on and off when you're put? That's what i use
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    SimonAH wrote:

Use it for things like stews which need to be cooked for a long time, but which you can't really overcook. Shin of beef with beer and mushrooms is excellent done in a slow cooker. See also Lamb shanks.

Dont have a pressure cooker, but Mum used to use one for doing the veges quickly which seemed to make a decent job of them.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,324
    I think a pressure cooker does what a slow cooker does quickly. My (Italian) mother makes some lovely stew type things in one. Osso Bucco and that type of thing. Meat always comes out very tender. Glad I've got my sandwiches to hand, this is making me hungry.
  • My mother seals up a pot on the stove with a really big weight on it. It works! Definitely cooks things faster.

But she's kind of old-school like that. Won't let me have a bread-maker, for example, as I have an oven.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Can I recommend the Remoska? Google it. It's a pan on a supporting frame, with a lid that has a heater built into it with nothing more glorious than an on/off switch to control it. Plug it into a timer and you have all that's necessary.

Hugely efficient compared to having the oven on for an hour or so and it makes a cracking job of chicken, roast veg, stews, spuds, dead polar bear cubs etc. The word is that it's a traditional Czech cooking implement.
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Sorry, but what is the point? Seems like another pointless gadget IMHO. If I want to eat a cheaper cut I just cook it slowly in the oven. It's no great hardship. Had lamb shoulder on Sunday, it just sat in the oven for 4 hours while I got on with my Sunday as usual...
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    We use our pressure cooker about 50% of meals - soups in 10 minutes, any kind of meat in 30, potatoes in 7.

I quite like the irony of someone on a cycling forum talking about "extravagant and un-necessary kitchen gadgets" :wink:
  • rick_chasey
    bompington wrote:
    I quite like the irony of someone on a cycling forum talking about "extravagant and un-necessary kitchen gadgets" :wink:
    Well quite. They should be spending it on extravagant and unnecessary cycling gadgets and kit.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    not to mention un-necessary hyphens
  • rick_chasey
    :lol: I'm not one to comment.
  • bompington wrote:
    We use our pressure cooker about 50% of meals - soups in 10 minutes, any kind of meat in 30, potatoes in 7.

Pah , that long ! 5 seconds to open a tin , a few minutes in the microwave job done .

seriuosly good bit of kit. we use ours for doing suet puddings mmmmmbabbysyeds and cooking the veg quick whilst keeping all the goodness in. the little water that is lefdt from the veggies makes the gravy yum yum yum. avoid the fancy timer type ones and get a simple weight one. oh and stainless steel NOT aluminium
    Veni Vidi cyclo I came I saw I cycled
    exercise.png
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,324
    Isn't aluminium better for heat transfer. We got a reidiculously fancy risotto pan as a wedding gift. Made of aluminium with a very thin layer of stainless either side. The stainless is eaasy to clean and the ali spreads the heat more evenly round the pan is the theory. I'm hungry again now.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,671
    Ali is (much) better for heat transfer but can't go in a dishwasher without ruining the surface. It also scratches fairly easily if you are the type to mangle stuff. Stainless is much more durable but relatively rubbish at heat transfer (10 to 20 times worse than ali)
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    copper bottoms.

thats all I have to say on the subject
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    CiB wrote:
    Can I recommend the Remoska? Google it. It's a pan on a supporting frame, with a lid that has a heater built into it with nothing more glorious than an on/off switch to control it. Plug it into a timer and you have all that's necessary.

Hugely efficient compared to having the oven on for an hour or so and it makes a cracking job of chicken, roast veg, stews, spuds, dead polar bear cubs etc. The word is that it's a traditional Czech cooking implement.

That sounds a lot like an electric Dutch Oven (fnarr). Might have to investigate..
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • Veronese68 wrote:
    Isn't aluminium better for heat transfer. We got a reidiculously fancy risotto pan as a wedding gift. Made of aluminium with a very thin layer of stainless either side. The stainless is eaasy to clean and the ali spreads the heat more evenly round the pan is the theory. I'm hungry again now.

more to do with the ali being a possible factor in dementia. if i can reduce ali contact, and cooking at pressure in ali isn't going to help, then its a little better .
    exercise.png
  • SimonAH
    Veronese68 wrote:

more to do with the ali being a possible factor in dementia. if i can reduce ali contact, and cooking at pressure in ali isn't going to help, then its a little better .

The Aluminium Alzheimers link has been fairly thoroughly debunked. There is no associated known toxicity to aluminium - apart from the dust being explosive (and generating H2 gas in water). Oh, and possibly being whanged with a saucepan :-D

• SimonAH

• Twostage
    Twostage Posts: 987
    Definitely get one. I make meat pies by first cooking the chunks of stewing steak in the pressure cooker for 15 minutes (rather than 1.5 hours at normal temperature). :D
  • SimonAH wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:

The Aluminium Alzheimers link has been fairly thoroughly debunked. There is no associated known toxicity to aluminium - apart from the dust being explosive (and generating H2 gas in water). Oh, and possibly being whanged with a saucepan :-D

note the word possible in my post.

in the not so distant past people were encouraged to smoke to sort some health problems.we used to play with mercury in school too. Asbestos was a wonder product.
    when a full life test has been conducted on a double blind basis and shows me its perfectly fine then i will be happy.
    watching my mother deteriorate with dementia in the space of 12 months was not a nice thing to experience. which leads me onto asking if anybody want to do the workinton to whitby ride for alzheimers society in 2012. i am hoping to do it, training dependent.
    exercise.png