Cartridge BB - which tool ?

JimboM
JimboM Posts: 380
edited December 2011 in The workshop
I've recently been getting a clicking noise from my drive train and as it happens once every revolution and when the peddles are in the same place I sort of suspect it might be the BB. I'm happy to have a go at stripping it down but need to get myself a BB tool and I'm not sure what one I need. The bike is a 2009 Giant FCR3 and the only info I can find is that the BB is a cartridge type, are these all the same and would a standard Shimano type therefore fit

eg
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/cyclus-bottom-b ... l-shimano/

Thanks

Jim
Cannondale Synapse 105
Giant FCR3
GT Avalanche 3.0
Canyon Nerve AM 6.0

Comments

• It really does depend on the BB on your bike. Can't give you any more without a photo.

Or try your LBS. Ask for their advice.
    It's not the winning or even taking part. It's the arsing about that counts.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    read the info on Parktools. they cover all BBs and list the tools.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Its 99.9% certain that a Giant with a FSA Vero crankset will be fitted with a Shimano (or compatible) UNC cartridge and the standard Shimano TL-UN74-S tool or its equivalent will do the job.
    Invacare Spectra Plus electric wheelchair, max speed 4mph :cry:
  • JimboM
    JimboM Posts: 380
    Sorry guys, sort of forgot about this thread.

The bike did turn out to have a Shimano style BB, managed to get a Park tool (£6.50) and crank puller (£8) from Halfords !
    Cannondale Synapse 105
    Giant FCR3
    GT Avalanche 3.0
    Canyon Nerve AM 6.0