Variation on the 'Peak District hills' query

pollys_bott
pollys_bott Posts: 1,012
Hi;

Any recommendations for long drags rather than sharp hills? I know I could drive over and do the C&F but is there anything similar in the south / south-eastern Peak District? Is going up to the C&F Inn from the east similar to going up it from Macclesfield? Longest continuous uphill that I know of around here is Beacon Hill which is only about 1 1/2 miles long, so if anyone can name any roads longer than that with constant uphill or minimal respite then please shout.

Thanks...

Comments

• Im based on the other side

IMHO the best climbs in the Peak start around Hathersage
    5km with 300 vertical metres is pretty easy to find

Great training for the Alps and/or Pyrenees

cheers
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    Long Hill from Whaley Bridge must be a good 4-5 miles of climbing gently.

Snake out of Glossop isn't too bad.

Holme Moss (from Woodhead to Holmfirth) is nice and constant - bit more of a test the other way around.

Agree with hell fire - some good stuff out of Hathersage as well.

The more constant, draggy climbs do tend to be the main roads sadly - to be expected really!

Can't wait until I live in the peaks again!
  • The Via Gelia from Cromford (off the A6) up to Newhaven (A515) is a good drag and is south east as requested.
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    Longer climbs on the East and South-East side:

Froggat (Calver - A625)

Abney (Hathesage - Great Hucklow)

Beeley (Beeley - Beeley Moor)

Burbage Moor (Heathersage - Burbage Moor)
  • Garz
    Garz Posts: 1,155
    marcusjb wrote:
    Holme Moss (from Woodhead to Holmfirth) is nice and constant - bit more of a test the other way around.

Done that last year on one of the hottest days! A good workout for sure.
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    Maybe not the very best route in the area but one that links a few long climbs. Start at Cromford, up Via, left at Pikehall and down to meet the A515 just North of Ashbourne, up the 515 to the end of the Via Gellia - I know the A515 isn't the nicest road but it's not too bad there and that climb through Fenny Bentley is very long.

Into Via Gellia but take the immediate left and down through Youlgreave and Alport to the A6. Down the A6 a short way and left at Rowsley - Beeley village (possible cafe stop) and up Beeley Moor. Across the tops to Crich, drop down to Whatstandwell. Cross A6 and River Derwent and take the right hand of the two left hand turns just over the river - this is Long Way Bank. Malt Shovel pub at the top. Right to Bolehill and drop down Cromford hill to the start.

That gives you 4 decent long climbs without going very far North.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    Garz wrote:
    marcusjb wrote:

Done that last year on one of the hottest days! A good workout for sure.

Last time I did it was on one of the coldest days of the year (that was Woodhead to Holmfirth direction) on Christmas Eve last year - the pass was technically closed, but that wasn't going to stop me! It was great - no cars, no people, nothing - just snow and ice!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/marcusjb/5287334087/
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    Not the peaks but in the NY Moors Castleton to Hutton le Hole via Blakey Ridge is about 12 miles, roughly 8 uphill and 4 downhill. The 8 uphill is a long steady drag. Plenty of lover scenery and other climbs to link into to make a nice circular ride.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • pollys_bott
    Maybe not the very best route in the area but one that links a few long climbs. Start at Cromford, up Via, left at Pikehall and down to meet the A515 just North of Ashbourne, up the 515 to the end of the Via Gellia - I know the A515 isn't the nicest road but it's not too bad there and that climb through Fenny Bentley is very long.

Into Via Gellia but take the immediate left and down through Youlgreave and Alport to the A6. Down the A6 a short way and left at Rowsley - Beeley village (possible cafe stop) and up Beeley Moor. Across the tops to Crich, drop down to Whatstandwell. Cross A6 and River Derwent and take the right hand of the two left hand turns just over the river - this is Long Way Bank. Malt Shovel pub at the top. Right to Bolehill and drop down Cromford hill to the start.

That gives you 4 decent long climbs without going very far North.

Just Google-mapped that - looks nice, thank you Tom...
  • pollys_bott
    t4tomo wrote:
    Not the peaks but in the NY Moors Castleton to Hutton le Hole via Blakey Ridge is about 12 miles, roughly 8 uphill and 4 downhill. The 8 uphill is a long steady drag. Plenty of lover scenery and other climbs to link into to make a nice circular ride.

Mmmmm yes, Rumble country; very nice! Do-able but a bit more pain logistics wise as it involves a weekend at the in-laws... :lol: In the Dales Langthwaite up to Tan Hill looks like a good long drag, anyone done that?
  • In answer to the OP, no the C&F from the east is very different: shorter, steeper, much narrower and even busier which makes it most unpleasant. That part of the Peaks doesn't generally go "long" rather then "steep". However, Long Hill from Whalley Bridge is good, and you could also try Buxton to Axe Edge (one of the classic climbs of British road racing), Bosley cross roads to Buxton, Earl Sterndale to High Edge via Buxton raceway, Pott Shrigley to Windgather and the Goyt Valley, or Longnor to Flash Bar (used in the Tour of Britain last year as "Hollinsclough Moor" - don't take the route through Hollingclough itself unless you want to combine long and steep). The last three are on minor roads and very quiet.