Budget first bike

Childs_97
Childs_97 Posts: 5
edited June 2012 in Road buying advice
hi, am looking at buying my first road bike, i am on a very tight budget as a student and so my max would be about £350. i know most would recommend to go second hand but as this is my first bike i would much prefer to get a bike from a shop knowing it is the correct size and setup correctly as i have very little knowledge on bikes.

i think i have narrowed it down to 3 choice, the carrera tdf ( this is a new model just out so was wondering if anyone had any early opinions on the bike)

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... zone=PDPz1

the btwin triban 3 ( have heard good reviews of this over the carrera)

http://www.btwincycle.com/EN/triban-3-1 ... techniques

and finally the ventura protour (this bike does have SORA components but haven't found any reviews on this bike although it is mentioned in a couple of threads on here. does anyone have any experience with this bike and any opinions?)

http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/ventura- ... 61909.html

i think at the moment im slightly favouring the ventura due to better component

Thanks for any help

Tom

Comments

• nochekmate
    nochekmate Posts: 3,460
    Tom,

PM Sent
  • If you can stretch the budget to £395 allterrain have Giant Defy 4, bought one of these (not from allterrain) & for the price they are superb, spec is good at the price & the frame is good & will take upgrades when finances allow
  • Hey, PM sent
    Boardman Team Comp
    Boardman CX Team
    Boardman Full Suss Pro
    Brick Lane fixie
    Genesis Day One
  • Need advice on the same as above, but can't read other people's PMs :mrgreen:

Any ideas to be shared?

Mark
    :mrgreen:
    Road: Cube Peloton 2010
    Mud: Carerra AM Fury
  • styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    Get a 2nd hander, you'll get something smart for £350
  • If you can hold on I would expect some decent prices on bikes close to Xmas/after Xmas.

I got my Allez 2010 for £380 from Evans (online) on 24th Dec, picked it up in the New Year and its been great.

I know its above budget, but all I am saying is if you can wait 4/5 weeks you may get a bargain.
  • I have a nearly new Vanquish for sale, £300, located in Bristol or Basingstoke (or anywhere in between)
    Boardman Team Comp
    Boardman CX Team
    Boardman Full Suss Pro
    Brick Lane fixie
    Genesis Day One
  • PUMAFR
    PUMAFR Posts: 1
    HI I am in the same boat i need a bike for work and a Ventura Protour sora 2011 has come up for sale, i only need it for work and back, nothing to serious...Does anyone no anything about it or any recommendations? thanks
  • The Decathlon Triban 3 seems to get good reviews for a budget road bike? Carbon fork and Shimano 2300... 10.5kg which aint too bad for £300 notes...
    Current bike: 2014 Kinesis Racelight T2 - built by my good self!
  • DDSM
    DDSM Posts: 1
    Hi all,

I've recently started looking into getting a bike for cycling to work and I'm seriously considering buying the Ventura Pro-Tour. I'm on a very tight budget of around 300 squids so does anyone have any solid objections to the ventura??