XT chainset

beverick
beverick Posts: 3,461
edited November 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
OK, I understand that I should know the answer to this one, but I don't.

I have a Shimano Deore XT FC-M780 10 speed chainset on the MTB with 42x32x24T chainrings mated with an 11-36 cassette (in fact it's XT drivetrain and shifters throughout.)

The trouble is, I keep spinning out at the top of the range (ie 42/11), especially on roads and hardpack trails.

I use the 24/36 occasionally on a couple of steep loose climbs so I wouldn't want to loose it, but I think I could do with going up to either a 42 or even 48T on the largest ring. What are the practicaly considerations?

If I go up to 44 or 48 on the front (assuming I can) do I need to change the middle ring to give more even range?

I assume I'll have to consider the tooth difference so would a 24T difference be too much?

Practical advice and economic suggestions welcome!

Bob

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    you may have fun as the shimano 10spd front mechs are 42T max.

just freewheel and have fun.

the dual front mechs go up to 48T.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    If you're spinning out at 42t with 11t, you must be going a hell of a rate or pedalling too much downhill! (pedalling downhill just seems wrong to me anyway unless it's very gentle downhill :P).
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    This topic came up last week: viewtopic.php?f=10004&t=12812696

As one of the other contributers said: "I really can't see you spinning out 42/11 off road, or even on road with an MTB, I don't spin out my Hybrid commuter with 46/11 at a GPS logged 40mph"
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • It's just ya legs turning fast you are definately not spinning out that gear, you just got the feeling that you can push a harder gear, any gear will spin out downhill but on flats you ain't got a mission unless your pro level which I'm assuming ya not.
    Zesty 514 Scott Scale 20 GT Expert HalfwayupMTB