MTB in the Alps

ploppy
ploppy Posts: 173
edited November 2011 in MTB general
Hi All.
Im thinking of going somewhere in the Alps next year with some friends from my local MTB group(Les Gets and Morzine looking the most favourable).
I have done a few trail centres in Wales and so the type of riding we'll be doing will be XC/Trail.
Can anyone give any recommendations or any good/bad experiences with holiday companies or accomadation around this area?
Nothing is booked yet but we will most likely be looking for self catering or B&B.

Thanks

MIck
go flat out or fall out!

Comments

• delcol
    delcol Posts: 2,848
    www.flowmtb.com
    they offer guiding and bike hire to...

i never stayed with them but guy and sara who own and run it were staying in our chalet in whistler last year and were both really cool people.....
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Not been myself but a mate of mine has made several trips to Bike Village, he loves it...
    Uncompromising extremist
  • agg25
    agg25 Posts: 619
    I second Flow, stayed with them in Morzine a couple of years ago for the Passportes and it was the best biking trip I've ever been on, great advice, access to workshop, right in the middle of town, great cakes and food (miss Jess!) and great guys. And the beers cheap!
  • miss notax
    miss notax Posts: 2,572
    Hello :D

I went to Morzine with Flow earlier this year and they are a great company - I would recommend them.

Just my humble opinion on the Morzine / Les Gets area though.... You say that you are a trail / xc rider (so am I :D ) but this area is really downhill biased. I am sure there is some great xc riding around, but I certainly didn't find it! If you're following the crowd you'll find yourself on the dh routes. Don't get me wrong these are good fun, but possibly a bit of a shock if you're expecting flowing singletrack through beautiful alpine fields :lol:

Even the natural trails we rode were bloody technical and not much better than the dh courses!!

I did have a fab holiday though so would thoroughly recommend it - I just found it a bit of a shock to the system :shock:
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc
  • Dave_P1
    Dave_P1 Posts: 565
    I've spent a lot of time in Morzine, Les Gets and Chatel and had the time of my life.
    The only tracks we rode were DH ones, so black and red runs I think. The majority of them are easy enough to ride assuming your confident with roots and steep tracks. Obviously the faster you go the harder it gets. There's plenty of hidden tracks or shall we say less used which are always good fun and not so beaten up. I found half of the fun was exploring and seeing what you found.
  • rhialto
    rhialto Posts: 277
    I went for a week in summer 2010 to Les Arcs. I stayed at a chalet run by TrailAddiction (http://www.trailaddiction.com/). Every day for 6 days we went out and rode amazing technical alpine singletrack guided by one of the TA guides. TA has been riding Les Arcs area for years and they can show you all sorts of cool trails that are not shown on the IGN maps. I haven't ridden Morzine but some guys that stayed at the chalet said it is more DH oriented than Les Arcs but lots of fun also.
  • Jedi
    Jedi Posts: 827
    chamonix for the win imo. awesome singletrack as tech as you like
  • JonnyN
    JonnyN Posts: 181
    Trail Addiction
    "Time you enjoy wasting, is not a waste of time"

"I'm too young to be too old for this shit"

Specialized FSRxc Expert 2008
    Kona Stinky 2008 (Deceased)
    Trek Scratch Air 8 2010 (Work in Progress)