Feeling Drained

Kieran_Burns
Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
edited November 2011 in Commuting chat
Well - my Hope battery was anyway.

Bit of a buggeration as Terry Pratchett would put it.

Turns out if you leave the Hope external battery plugged into the District and Vision lights (together) there's enough of a drain to completely flatten the battery. As I discovered in the pitch black this morning.

"Oh, tish" says I. "that's disappointing"

Well... I thought that. Not sure what the neighbours may have made of my rant that early in the morning.

I was off the bike all last week (ear infection... not nice cycling when you have that much pain in the head) and left the battery, what I thought was fully charged, attached to the lights.

This would also explain why I've had the lights drop to low power mode a couple of times when cycling home after having them running on the brighter settings. (I'd left them connected on the bike during the day)

So, spare battery or just get more organised... decision, decisions. I suppose I could buy a R4 - that would get me another battery. By such logic is money well spent ;)
Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
2011 Trek Madone 4.5
2012 Felt F65X
Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter

Comments

• SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    My Magicshine set-up worries me irrationally. The back of the head unit is permanently aglow. Everytime I walk into the workshop, there it is softly glowing green at me.

All I can think is "this must be draining the batteries, it will have no life when I go to ride" and have to keep convincing myself that a battery pack that can power four crees at 1600 lumens for hours can probably keep that lil' green glow going through the next ice age.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Ooo, did not know this! Usefuly if I ever take a week off..
  • SimonAH wrote:
    My Magicshine set-up worries me irrationally. The back of the head unit is permanently aglow. Everytime I walk into the workshop, there it is softly glowing green at me.

All I can think is "this must be draining the batteries, it will have no life when I go to ride" and have to keep convincing myself that a battery pack that can power four crees at 1600 lumens for hours can probably keep that lil' green glow going through the next ice age.

Ahem, is that the glow-in-the-dark power switch you're worrying about?
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,300
    I believe the Magicshine can keep that thing glowing for ages, but I would disconnect the battery because it would drive me nuts. I know it can stay on, I know it will last, but surely it's wasting power and will flatten my battery. But I know it will last and I know it's not a problem, but surely it's wasting power. Repeat until driven insane.
  • Veronese68 wrote:
    I believe the Magicshine can keep that thing glowing for ages, but I would disconnect the battery because it would drive me nuts. I know it can stay on, I know it will last, but surely it's wasting power and will flatten my battery. But I know it will last and I know it's not a problem, but surely it's wasting power. Repeat until driven insane.

When I had one I always used to disconnect it after a ride, I think I'm a bit OCD.

Once the charger blew up (that was as bright as the light!) I dumped the light and bought something different, something that didn't glow in the dark!
  • Reading the title of this thread, I wondered if you'd been hitchhiking in Zimbabwe

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-15876968 :shock: :wink:

One of these days I must do a burn-time test on my various lights. The AyUps are meant to last 6 hours on full power (I'm not entirely sure why I went for the big battery option). The L&M VIS 360 is meant to last a couple of hours though I'm not sure it quite manages this
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH