Joplin 4, better than the alternatives

buzz1
buzz1 Posts: 374
edited June 2013 in MTB buying advice
Looking at getting a dropper post, drawn to the joplin 4 (manual) other option is the KS Dropzone, not paying the extra bucks for the rock shox, plus it looks cack.
Anyone tried these and have any advice?

Comments

• Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,480
    I have a joplin 4 (with remote) on my Spicy and it works well so far, only small grip is that it doesn't seem possible to fix the remote lever to the bar so it doesn't move at all without putting a but of inner tube or elastic between the attachment ring and the bar.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    I have a Joplin3(lever version) and am happy with it but have a Giant Switch on order 8) £160 for the remote version and getting very good reviews.Looks a lot like the KSi950r.
  • sniper68
    MBR gave it a 10/10 last issue.If you can't the issue i could scan and email you the review.
    At £160 it's as cheap as most lever versions,even the KSi900 lever version(which it looks very much like :wink: ) is £170.
    Mate has a KSi950r has been faultless and also a Reverb,which failed.The switch looks like a re-badged KSi so I reckon it should be OK 8)
    Oh and there's this review :wink:
    BIKE RADAR REVIEW
  • *AL*
    *AL* Posts: 1,185
    ibbo68 wrote:
    MBR gave it a 10/10 last issue.

BR gave it 2.5 stars out of 5.
    Bike Radar wrote:
    2.5 stars - Average - This product will do the job but isn't outstanding or poor when compared to others in its class.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Joplins are famous for being flaky... No idea how fair that is, the only one I used failed in 2 different ways in 2 rides and the only other one I know of is away on warranty just now but maybe there's another 50 round here that are fine.

My i900 has been good, so has my Gravity Dropper. The KS needed to go back on warranty before it worked properly but since then it's been completely flawless. People talk about sealing on these things being a worry but after a year of constant use including scottish winter, it was still almost perfectly clean inside.

The Gravity Dropper did break a seatpost clamp bolt, but otherwise has been spot on, I serviced it recently and replaced the shims but tbh it didn't really need it, just preventative medicine. 2 years, 2 winters, nae bother.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • DodgeT
    DodgeT Posts: 2,255
    If your getting a dropper, get one with a remote.

Its fine thinking you can hold the lever under your seat and get the right height while your riding along, but try doing that while going over a rock garden etc..
  • sniper68
    *AL* wrote:
    ibbo68 wrote:
    MBR gave it a 10/10 last issue.
    BR gave it 2.5 stars out of 5.
    Bike Radar wrote:
    2.5 stars - Average - This product will do the job but isn't outstanding or poor when compared to others in its class.
    2 different users,2 very different reviews.Just goes to show you take reviews with a pinch of salt :wink:
    Joplin 3s had bad press,mine's been faultless for 2 years 8) The only review that actually means anything is your own.
    DodgeT wrote:
    If your getting a dropper, get one with a remote.

Its fine thinking you can hold the lever under your seat and get the right height while your riding along, but try doing that while going over a rock garden etc..

It's actually quite easy with practice :mrgreen:
  • DodgeT
    DodgeT Posts: 2,255
    I need all the help I can get :D
  • 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    buzz1 wrote:
    not paying the extra bucks for the rock shox, plus it looks cack.
    Anyone tried these and have any advice?

The best by far, Mine has been faultless and with the improved version out soon whats not to like, The giant did get 10/10 in MBR but on BR it gets 2.5/5, Joplin I had the 3 version, faultless again.

I got my Reverb for £162 on CRC with no bleed kit which you can get off ebay for £18 total £180
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • scale20
    scale20 Posts: 1,300
    My original joplin was cack, had no end of problems with it so they replaced it free of charge with a Joplin 4.

Not had a single issue with it at the moment. Its all about looking after them. I give mine an oil change twice a year if I can remember to do so and replace the valve.

Easy enough to service yourself, plus passes the time of day fettling with bike bits 8)
    Niner Air 9 Rigid
    Whyte 129S 29er.
  • Hey I'm looking in to getting a reverb but don't know which one will fit the seat post I've got now says 30.9 x 375 & I'm 6.2 so do I get the 380mm or 420mm?
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    What bike? Any kinks in the seat post? How much of your current seat post is showing?

And finally why bump this thread?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    You might get better answers starting a new thread rather than a Reverb question in an old, dead Joplin thread.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Sorry I'm new to all this forum thing I've got a Giant anthem x4 kinks in the seat post? Huh what? I'm lost lol & you mean when the seat posts all the way down right? if so there's about 3 & 3/4 Inches showing
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    If you're current seatpost is the right length at 375mm then get the 380mm, no? Or was it a trick question?
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • What do you mean No? Or is it a trick question? That's the seat post that came with the bike so Which one do I get 380 or 420?