Oz - riding around pittwater and Hawkesbury River

billy whippet
billy whippet Posts: 171
edited November 2011 in Tour & expedition
Off to Australia soon for a 6 week break with newly purchased Airnimal - staying on Hawkesbury River. Anyone know what the riding is like around there?

Comments

• It should be pretty nice, but it's going to be bloody hot at this time of year! We were in Brisbane for most of the last year and around Xmas and into January Sydney was hitting over 40 degrees! If you are going riding it would be worth heading out silly early to be back by 9 to avoid the worst of the heat. Having said that, I'm not very good with heat so was probably worse than most! Maybe see if you can find any local clubs and find out when their club runs are to give you an idea of when is good to ride?
    Custom spec Scott Scale
    Custom spec Salsa Fargo
    Custom spec Scott CR1
    Scott Speedster S1
  • Hoopdriver
    Hoopdriver Posts: 2,023
    Hello

I lived in Sydney for a good many years - went to Sydney Uni and worked for the Sydney Morning Herald - and I've done a lot of cycling all over Australia. The area you are talking about is lovely, and while it is going to be warm this time of year, I wouldn't let that put you off. Yes 40C is possible - so is a far more pleasant 25C. The weather is what it is.

A few years ago I did a 10,000 mile solo trek around Australia, and wrote a book about it - I am a professional writer and journalist - and since the book's publication I have had quite a few people ask about certain aspects of cycling in Australia, enough so that i wrote up a page of tips and practical advice on my website:

http://www.my-bicycle-and-i.co.uk/2011/bicycles-and-the-bush/

It is probably more germane to people heading into the bush - or outback, if you will - but you might find some worthwhile bits in there. Australia is a great place for cycling, and I know you'll have a good time. Hawkesbury and Pittwater are very pretty, and should provide some lovely riding. I'd keep to the backroads - as I would anywhere - and bear in mind that it is more likely to be busy on weekends.
  • If you are staying on the Hawkesbury - pretty hilly and not to many roads but great scenery.

This forum may be able to help more.
    http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/index ... 75f0d99256
  • Many thanks

Can't wait - will be nearly spring here when I return! :D