Bit unsure about 4X bikes

BG2000
BG2000 Posts: 517
edited November 2011 in MTB buying advice
I've been offered a great price on a hardtail 4X bike (made by Ghost) and I'm quite tempted, but want to make sure it's suitable for 'normal' riding, as the last thing I'm planning on doing is 4X racing.

I've checked the frame geometry and it's almost identical to my current bike, a Cove Stiffee. The difference is that the seat tube on the 4X bike is a couple of cm shorter and the top tube is a couple of cm longer (effective horizontal). It comes with a shorter stem than what I use on the Cove. So although it's slightly lower and longer than the Cove, it'll be very similar in terms of size and reach.

So, can a 4X bike be riden on normal terrain, i.e. trail centres, Peak District climbs and descents etc...I really can't see any difference between this and 'low and long' hardtails, maybe just the narrower bars which I'd just replace.

Is it OK to run the seatpost at my usual height, or are 4X bikes not supposed to be riden that way, i.e. like a trials bike.

Comments

• 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    Guy at my LBS rides a 4x bike everywere, Lee quarry, Gisburn, Yeadon Bmx, Coppull Bmx, only thing is the gears, he has 1x9 setup, so just depends on that and like you say a short seatpost.
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • BG2000
    Thanks for that. I can tell by the frame size I'm looking at that I'd need a 350 or 400mm seatpost running near fully extended to get the correct saddle height. You don't seem to get the seatpost length publicised for 4X bikes, presumably because they're quite short. I know it won't be long enough as obviously you can't shove a 400mm seatpost down into a 38cm frame ! But I wouldn't need it that far down in use.
  • gtd.
    gtd. Posts: 626
    1mancity2 wrote:
    Guy at my LBS rides a 4x bike everywhere, only thing is the gears, he has 1x9 setup, so just depends on that and like you say a short seatpost.

Mine has a 350mm seatpost, same make as the frame Identiti 30.4mm, seems an unusual diameter though.

If a 4x bike has no cable stop for a front mech doesnt mean your stuck with 1x9.

My Dr Jekyll has no cable stop but had routing for rim and disc brakes so I used the routing for rim brakes and fitted a Problem Solvers 34.9mm Backstop on the seat tube just below the top tube/seat stays.

br5454-390x390.png
    Part Numbers
    QBP # Product Name Diameter
    BR5454 Backstop 1-1/8" (28.6mm)
    BR5455 Backstop 1-1/4" (31.8mm)
    BR5456 Backstop 1-3/8" (34.9mm)
    BR5457 Backstop 1-1/2" (38mm)
    IMAG0085.jpgIMAG0083.jpg

I've since changed to a low clamp mech for neatness and removed the sellotape I used to stop the high clamp mech marking the seat tube.
    Mountain: Orange Patriot FR, SubZero & Evo2LE.
    Road: Tifosi Race Custom.
    Do it all bike: Surly Disc Trucker 700c/29er
  • BG2000
    Thanks for that tip - fortunately the bike comes with a clamp on front derailleur and triple chainset. So that part of it isn't typical for a 4X bike, but makes it more useable.