another pro2 bites the dust...

lawman
lawman Posts: 6,868
edited November 2011 in MTB general
snapped my hope axle today, anybody got any idea how they go about replacing it under warranty? i know the new evo hub bodies are the same, the freehub, axle and bearings are different, but surely they know the problem and should replace the faulty parts with the newer style fitments at they're own cost, as they are aware of the problem and it is within my rights to request the newer axle? :evil:

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Call them on Monday and ask.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • delcol
    delcol Posts: 2,848
    what hope axle have you snapped.....

can i ask how did you snap it.....

panic panic panic cause i have pro 2 on my bike....
  • lawman
    delcol wrote:
    what hope axle have you snapped.....

can i ask how did you snap it.....

panic panic panic cause i have pro 2 on my bike....

its a 12x135mm, used with a new style full diameter rockshox maxle on my Mojo HD

frankly i have no idea how it snapped, took the wheel out and the cassette and freehub and part of the axle just fell off, snapped clean through the axle, has been a problem for a while with this setup, new evo hubs were designed purely to solve this and to make changing axle standards easier, mine require a complete change of axle to convert from say qr to thru-axle, new evo's just use different end caps
  • The hopes axle issue with Maxles.. For my house mate last year when his went, they just had him send his wheel, and built a new hub in :s so you will have the same problem a few months down the line :)

Hope hubs are made of butter i swear i mean they don't even rate as cheese :(
  • delcol
    delcol Posts: 2,848
    is this just a maxle thing then..
    mine is a pro 2 converted to the 10mm bolt through.. it's a 135, with a 10mm bolt through conv...

i converted mine from the qr to a stiffen up the back end and cause i thought it would be stronger...
    i have a superstar through axel qr style one ..
    what part is it that actually broke, can you please put pics up....

i thought hope hubs were surposed to be good... :( :shock: :shock:
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Like anything, they can break ;-)

First port of call should be the retailer in the event of a problem, though Hope tend to offer support direct too.
  • lawman
    delcol wrote:
    is this just a maxle thing then..
    mine is a pro 2 converted to the 10mm bolt through.. it's a 135, with a 10mm bolt through conv...

i converted mine from the qr to a stiffen up the back end and cause i thought it would be stronger...
    i have a superstar through axel qr style one ..
    what part is it that actually broke, can you please put pics up....

i thought hope hubs were surposed to be good... :( :shock: :shock:

it seems to be just a maxle thing, the old spec maxle lites were tapered in the middle and on hope axles they need support in this area, and were prone to snapping, rockshox even changed the design, at a great cost, of the maxle to a much more expensive model that was just as light, but non-tapered, and still the problem persists, hence why hope redesigned the evo...

hope claim it is the fault of the axle flexing and compromising support on the part that snapped, right on the interface between the hub body and the freehub
  • nicklouse
    it is the hope axel being too narrow as thez decided to use more common sized bearing rather than the over size one in the middle they used on the Bulb which was strong enough with any 12 axel.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Aye, when you look at the axle it's no mystery why they snap, they're paper thin.

And yep, would definately be reasonable to ask about changing the parts to the Evo internals (which I'm told does work)- they'll replace the axle no bother of course but that's no substitute for fixing the problem. Hope are known for good service so would be interesting to see how it works out (I've got another spare to snap before I get to this point but would be good to know!)
    Uncompromising extremist
  • lawman
    Northwind wrote:
    Aye, when you look at the axle it's no mystery why they snap, they're paper thin.

And yep, would definitely be reasonable to ask about changing the parts to the Evo internals (which I'm told does work)- they'll replace the axle no bother of course but that's no substitute for fixing the problem. Hope are known for good service so would be interesting to see how it works out (I've got another spare to snap before I get to this point but would be good to know!)

well just so happens, i've got an answer from them :) they've offered to replace the alloy axle with a steel one, which apparently theyve never received back under warranty. weighs abit more obviously, but they seemed very reluctant to change the whole lot, even though i said to them i wouldnt mind paying a reasonable amount if need be, didnt even off me the newer parts at cost or anything, steel axle or nothing basically, bit disappointed in hope tbh, confirms my impressions they're going downhill tbh
  • Hmm.. so it seems that the great hope warranty is a myth then?

Why would you accept a heavier axle? I thought the whole point to buying overpriced Hope wheels was because they were lighter than competition and have a great warranty?
  • supersonic
    This is the thing - I don't believe you can have hubs that are light enough for XC race, yet strong enough for DH. Hope fail at both, and is about time they altered the range to reflect this ie a lighter XC hub, a stronger DH hub and better freewheels for all.
  • nicklouse
    bring back the Bulb.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    To be fair the steel axle shouldn't add a vast amount of weight- it'll still be paper thin after all.

But, I reckon it'd be interesting to see what happens if you say something along the lines of "I didn't buy a hub with a heavy steel axle, either you make the wheel I bought work or advertise or give me a replacement that can, or a refund". Just to stir the pot like.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • lawman
    Northwind wrote:
    To be fair the steel axle shouldn't add a vast amount of weight- it'll still be paper thin after all.

But, I reckon it'd be interesting to see what happens if you say something along the lines of "I didn't buy a hub with a heavy steel axle, either you make the wheel I bought work as advertised or give me a replacement that can, or a refund". Just to stir the pot like.

alas i so wish i could do this, but i need to get it sorted asap, and as much as i would love to argue that the product is not fir for purpose and they arent replacing it, effectively downgrading, if you look at it that way, its pretty poor service tbh, but having just fixed all the niggles i had with the bike, i just want to get out and ride the thing, id love a new axle/freehub, bearings etc just for piece of mind before winter really kicks in, is it beyond my rights to request a newer axle as warranty replacement and for other parts at cost price? imo this would the thing i would do if i were hope, they lose nothing, i dont get pissed off at their, to be frank disappointing service, and everyone wins, ibis do it, and they cost significantly more than a bloody freehub and some bearings at cost :roll:
  • supersonic
    Your rights are what Hope says they are and are bound by the terms of their warranty - otherwise go to your retailer and invoke the statutory rights you have through the SOGA.
  • Dirtydog11
    Dirtydog11 Posts: 1,621
    I can vaguely remember this happening to someone on another forum.

From what I can remember he sent the wheel off to Hope and they replaced the internals with EVO 2 parts, don't think he was charged.

I would be interested to see how this is resolved as I could end up in similar situation.
  • nicklouse wrote:
    it is the hope axel being too narrow as thez decided to use more common sized bearing rather than the over size one in the middle they used on the Bulb which was strong enough with any 12 axel.

what changed with the Evo design - did Hope move to a larger central bearing along with the thicker axle?
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    nicklouse wrote:
    bring back the Bulb.

+1!
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.