2»

Comments

• secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,120
    Giraffoto wrote:
    SecretSam wrote:
    Giraffoto wrote:
    I live in Aylesbury and love it because of the hills around it

You don't live round Bedgrove and ride a Spesh do you?

I do! This is so cool, I've always wanted a stalker! :D

Far more seriously - yes I do, either a black Tricross or a red Hardrock, but I see so many Specialized around you'd think they were made in the town.

Ha ha, I'm a cr*p stalker, 'cos the fella I'm thinking of rides a red Allez/Roubaix/roadie type thing

I'm the plank on the shi77y blue steelie or the really slow red Cannondale

You're not one of that mob who go out MTB'ing with their searchlights on every week, are you??

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    u see

i wasnt telling porkies!!

IMG00121-20111129-0821.jpg

admittedly i don't like speke either but not enough to shoot at it!!
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    PO Paul wrote:
    I'd swap you with Croydon anyday!

I'm in Addiscombe and I actually quite like it, local shops where people know me and there's banter (the butcher even remembered my christmas order from 2 years ago)

I can pop into the centre and shop if needs be, which I rarely do and there are some really nice restaurants about.

Cyclingwise there's loads of cheeky hills about and plenty of other choices for nice long rides without too much traffic
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,961
    Torvid wrote:
    SecretSam wrote:
    Vancouver (the only city I've ever been to and loved instantly).

What was it that you liked about Vancouver? I know it often comes top of polls but I'm not sure I've ever understood that. Maybe I've just been there at the wrong time of year. My brother lives there and I often joke with him that it's always raining. Had a good time skiing at Cypress but Whilster was nicer. The city itself seemed unremarkable to me. Even the expensive houses on the shore seemed wedged in together. I haven't really got it.

That's exactly what i thought of Vancouver, Victoria on the island is really nice though.
    Its all a bit skin deep over there to be honest. Everything seems really trendy and cool, then you realise that its all stuff that's crept up the coast from Seattle, Portland and San Fran over the preceding 5 years.

And it rains. A lot. But don't dare tell anyone from Vancouver that it might not be absolutely like the greatest, ever, because they are a bit precious.

That said, there's a high quality of life to be had if you can afford to be anywhere near the water. Lots of parks, world class scenery just over the bridge, forest and mountains a bus ride away. Two huge ski hills to cycle up. But you might as well be as close as we are to the Alps or the Highlands, if you happen to live in a flat amorphous part of the Fraser Valley, a 90 minute bus ride to your cubicle in a shiny box downtown.

I was there in my 20's. I moved here (Edinburgh) because its got a lot of the same things to offer, but with a castle, half as much rain, in exchange for wind, neds and hardly a tree within driving distance. I like where I live, but I miss trees.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    I like where I live. I would love it, if it weren't for the f**k-head tourists.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,120
    I've changed my mind

I rarely go into town, and the Chilterns and other great rides are so nice and near

Mind you, HS2 will ruin many of them

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,768
    SecretSam wrote:
    I've changed my mind

Good
    SecretSam wrote:
    I rarely go into town, and the Chilterns and other great rides are so nice and near.

Even better
    SecretSam wrote:
    Mind you, HS2 will ruin many of them

Are you determined to p!ss on your own chips?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I really like where I live, Village on the edge of a large town, my back garden is 120' long leading to a wooded leafy country lane, within 30 seconds on my bike I can be in the countryside on road or off, by car I am 15 minutes from one major city or 35 from another.

Downside is that while there are lots of decent flat trails round here, it is 55miles to the nearest trail centre and no really good long MTB trails (all short sections with road crossings or short links), but you can't have it all!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • I hated my job and wanted to live out in the sticks not in a town.

So I quit the rat race and moved to the country (beautiful, hilly, deserted Scottish Borders).

I have FAR less to spend on cycling (or anything else for that matter!) but love everything about where I live now, including the superb cycling terrain, road or otherwise.

You get one life. You can change things that make you unhappy if you want to enough. Having a rant on a forum may be a jolly good start. Go for it.

Gloat over. For now, hee hee. :wink:
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    SecretSam wrote:
    Vancouver (the only city I've ever been to and loved instantly).

What was it that you liked about Vancouver? I know it often comes top of polls but I'm not sure I've ever understood that. Maybe I've just been there at the wrong time of year. My brother lives there and I often joke with him that it's always raining. Had a good time skiing at Cypress but Whilster was nicer. The city itself seemed unremarkable to me. Even the expensive houses on the shore seemed wedged in together. I haven't really got it.

I can never understand the attraction of those sort of cities either. Nobody who hasn't been there will be able to recognise a single landmark there or anything to actually do. When you mention this, they just mumble something about the people being nice! But then I've never understood the appeal of Boston. To me it is the New Worlds answer to Peterborough :lol:
    Mind you, I never bothered with Vancouver - I went straight out into the mountains of British Columbia and Alberta. Much nicer IMO.
    I love where I live. Love love love. It's a little way beyond that corpse.

2952688622_b93de0d994.jpg

What's so great about living somewhere where they can't even be bothered to clear away the dead bodies? :D
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Apologies for dragging up an old thread but I was searching for something else...

I live near Aylesbury and agree the town leaves a lot to be desired and they're building a load more houses around and about. At least most of the new houses will be demolished to make way for HS2 :lol::D:lol:

I agree about the wind though, it always seems to be in your face but a lot of the rides (I generally go north west of Aylesbury are relatively peaceful and relaxing. Biggest problem is the lack of climbs to train on...

BTW. Anyone else doing the Bucks 100 this weekend?
    Alistair

Best Weather Bike - Time ZXRS
    Summer Road Bike - Pinarello FPX Dogma
    Winter Road Bike- Colnago E1
    Being Dismantled - Sintesi Blade
    Mountain Bike - Sold them all....
  • 154097d1292210017-how-autistic-you-holy_thread_resurrection_batman.jpg
  • AlistairD wrote:
    Apologies for dragging up an old thread but I was searching for something else...

Didn't realise this was an old thread and thought L_i_T had come back.

Sad face.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!