10 speed XTR vs XT....

The Big Cheese
The Big Cheese Posts: 8,651
edited November 2011 in MTB general
Im in the process of building up my Meta 4X and I've decided to go 10-Speed.

Ive gone for the new XT shifter (Rear only - 1 x 10 setup) and Im (or was) about the purchase the new XTR rear mech. Then I got to thinking. Is it worth the £85 extra for the XTR? I know theres a slight weight penalty but Im not a racer and just want something decent and reliable (as we all know XT is).

Anyone running the new XT 10 speed mech?

Comments

• lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    yep im runnig the new xt mech with an e-13 LG1, i presume it being a meta 4x you'll run a chain devise of some kind?? if yes, xt is fine, if not xt is probably still fine, upto you if you want the bling value of xtr, and the added chain retention, but if you run a chain guide its not worth it
  • lawman wrote:
    yep im runnig the new xt mech with an e-13 LG1, i presume it being a meta 4x you'll run a chain devise of some kind?? if yes, xt is fine, if not xt is probably still fine, upto you if you want the bling value of xtr, and the added chain retention, but if you run a chain guide its not worth it

Im will be running an LG1 too (came with the VIP frame package)...

You know what Im like with 'Bling' but TBH I am not going overboard here as the simple truth is I cant justify it.

Although I did buy some lovely DT Swiss EXM130 forks (£700-300 in CRC sale) as I rang Madison and asked if I could run more than a 100mm fork on the frame, and he said 130mm witll be alright but no more..... :)

Monies are hard to come by with other responsobilities around, so this is taking longer than expected LOL
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I love my XTR Shadow Plus! Is it worth the extra? Well you get that clutch mechanism, and is very light at 177g.
  • I must admit Paul that the new XTR is one exceptionally sexy bit of kit :)

It's a bit steep at 135 though. I could spend the extra 85 on better brakes etc

So, think Im gonna go XT, I already purchased a new RH XT shifter from CRC for £23 :) (only becuase it doesnt include the gear optical display which I think looks crap anyway) and also get an XT cassette.

XT Brakes as well, they seem to good to be true at that price and all the great reviews they get :)

Oh and new XT wheels as well ;)
  • supersonic
    XT wheels eh? Sure you don't want my XTRs? ;-)
  • supersonic wrote:
    XT wheels eh? Sure you don't want my XTRs? ;-)

Why you selling them?

Not for this build as you know everything has to match LOL ;)

OCD and all that, however I was thinking of using the DT 9mm through axle, but not sure what hubs are compatible?
  • supersonic
    Got some DT wheels with the 9mm RWS so don't really need the XTR now. But they are standard QR,
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    If you're gonna go for the Shadow Plus XTR I can see the merit, but I'd not bother to go for the standard XTR over XT, better to spend the money elsewhere.