Merino vs Helly

Dirk1978
Dirk1978 Posts: 148
edited November 2011 in Road buying advice
With the temperature dropping I am looking to get myself a decent base-layer. Now my question is do I go for a merino wool one or a Helly Hansen....... Any advice on which one to get.

Comments

• Omar Little
    Omar Little Posts: 2,010
    Helly Hanson do a merino base layer too.

I like merino best because even when its wet it is still warm. I do still use other materials too (a coffee bean one and various synthetic fabrics) and they work too just not as good as merino. The sythentic ones can be tigher fitting and have a bit of compression if that is what you are wanting.
  • Wots a Helly Hansen?
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • markmod
    markmod Posts: 501
    Just got myself an xtm (ski wear apparently) new Zealand wool merino top from TK max... All ladies tops were priced at £24.99 some of the men's were too, however the xl was priced at £29.99, surely this is 'fat'ist I said to the shop assistant, understanding that maybe one extra NZ sheep (more baa baas needed than the medium sized top) was standing bare in the field to swathe me in an XL
    "Why the men's XL priced £5 more than the medium and small" I asked. They then found out all the men's should have been £29.99 but wre incorrectly priced the same as the ladies, however, said they would honour the lower price for XL men's.

RESULT! Another battle won for the 'cholesteroly' challenged male! Yeehaa.

Go over to the sheep side my son, merino all the way I say, toasty but without polyester pong, you can't go wrong!

By the way a Helly Hansen is referring to a base layer manufactured by the well known sailing , sports and leisure wear company. :D
  • I have poly helly - not a patch on merino.
    Also blacks are selling icebreaker merino at a bargin price at the moment. in store everything is 1/3 off plus base layers are 2 for 1. icebreaker base layers are there in the store but I can't see them on the web site.
    Just added to my collection - icebreaker is really top quality stuff.
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,470
    i've got 2 helly merino baselayers (ice crew and freeze i think they're called), they're far superior to my helly life baselayer. i'm a full on merino convert
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • Depends on what you are planning to do and how often you ride, both have their uses.

If you ride daily then I would go with merino, if only on weekends would go with Helly Hansen. I have a few Helly Hansen lifa tops but since discovering Merino now hardly wear them, though they wick very well, they require washing every day!
  • ZoomZoom wrote:
    Depends on what you are planning to do and how often you ride, both have their uses.

If you ride daily then I would go with merino, if only on weekends would go with Helly Hansen. I have a few Helly Hansen lifa tops but since discovering Merino now hardly wear them, though they wick very well, they require washing every day!
    That's the core of it! When I used to cycle to work in poly I'd wash it at night, wear in the morning no prob, but put the same one on to go home and by then it's honking........
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    Hi there

Have 2 Helly Hansen merino base layers (the Ice Crew models). Can't fault them. Find I can use on several rides without any build up of offensive odours. Then just a rinse in a suitable handwash detergent and there back fresh as new.

Would recommend the Ice Crew - available on Amazon in black for £32. Prices vary for other colours.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Helly-Hansen-Li ... 460&sr=1-3
  • Dirk1978
    Dirk1978 Posts: 148
    Thanks for the advice, think I will start investing in some merion.
  • anto164
    anto164 Posts: 3,500
    I've got some helly hansen base layers..

They STINK after 20 minutes of wearing them.

I'll never buy them again.
  • markmod
    markmod Posts: 501
    And that's why sheep have wool coats and not polyester!
  • Chrissz
    Chrissz Posts: 727
    I have several Helly base layers (Lifa wear) and have never had "Smelly Hansen" syndrome! I often ride into work (18miles) and home again - both ways at a fairly quick pace - never been smelly!

Not tried merino wool but may well invest in some as the temps start to drop :)
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    I've been using Chocholatefish merino T shirts for about 3 years. They are like Icebreaker before Icebreaker moved to China. Very durable and comfortable in all conditions.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I got my base layers last year in TK Maxx. One's a 100% merino which is exceedingly warm, and I can get several days wear out of it without any pong developing. The other is apparently made of bamboo; much thinner / silkier in feel, and I think is better wicking than the wool. Also no detectable pong after a week's worth of rides.

I can only cope with the merino once temps drop below 5c, otherwise it makes me run too hot.
  • Dirk1978 wrote:
    With the temperature dropping I am looking to get myself a decent base-layer. Now my question is do I go for a merino wool one or a Helly Hansen....... Any advice on which one to get.

HH 'Warm' or 'Freeze' tops are half merino, half synthetic - with the synthetic layer mext to the skin, so you don't get the clamminess of wet merino against the skin.

(HH 'Lifa Dry' tops are thinner and just made of their synthitc material - more a spring & autumn base-layer.)

I think they work quite well and are more comfy / less clammy than pure merino.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    The 'smelliest' top I own is the HH Merino one - after one wear it positive honks whereas the regular Lifa isn't quite as whiffy. I have numerous merino and synthetic baselayers and the problem with merino is that it holds sweat too readily when worn under tight windstopper which means it gets cold and clammy when working hard - I always wear synthetics if riding hard. Merino is fine for commutes / bimbling though.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • paul64
    paul64 Posts: 278
    I read through this quickly so might have missed if anyone has already mentioned skin reaction. Try one merino before you buy a few, sadly I found Merino makes me itch and can't wear it. Not an issue for me most people I am sure.

So, from time to time Lidl do great long-sleeved base layers for about £6, I have 3 of them. Helly have different tops for different seasons, I have a decent Endura baselayer too, I forget the branding on it but its good.
  • moonshine
    moonshine Posts: 1,021
    they are known as "smelly hansen" for a reason!
  • you could try the t-shirt Merino that Aldi are doing on Thursday. At £15 it is worth a punt http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers/special_buys3_22162.htm
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    I too find merino itchy (and have tried several brands) so switched to Craft thermal base-layers for winter and they're just as warm as merino, wick better and don't stink either (I always wash my kit after each ride anyhow). Merino is good stuff though and I'd still use it if I didn't find it itchy
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    the icebreakers merinos arent itchy, nor are the ones that I got from Decathlon last year. The on-one merinos are more itchy but I think will be bearable - havent tried them yet.

I find normal wool itchy but some of the merino stuff seems to have been made softer to the touch than others.

Hated the craft zero I tried a year ago and sent it back - cant remember why now though.

Others have different ideas - DHB use 'corefit' which is synthetic but meant to be similar in terms of stink protection and tenn-outdoors use something made from cofee beans meant to be similar.