Really long (410mm+) seatposts?

Northwind
Northwind Posts: 14,675
edited November 2011 in MTB buying advice
Might be in the market for something 410mm long or longer, 27.2... Thompson do one I know, and that looks like a good contender, just wondering what other options there are... There's an FSA FR of some description I remember...
Uncompromising extremist

Comments

• benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    With Thomson as a choice, who needs alternatives ;)
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    A long seatpost of this length and diameter is going to flex a bit and put a lot of stress on the frame mind.

Cheap and cheerful:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/bbb-bsp-23-long ... -seat-post

and our old favourites Gusset:

http://activesport.co.uk/shop/article_1 ... ml?pse=coa
  • Northwind
    Ah, excellent, guess the Gusset has to be on the cards then. Even if it is bloody Mark Anthony Bikes... Benpinnick, personally I reckon Thomson are a bit overrated but mainly, don't want to spend £50+ if I can ;)

<quick edit- turns out Charlie the Bikemonger sells Gusset now, excellent news, from one extreme to the other...>

Basically, my new dh frame is more compact than my Ellsworth was, and being a bit of a contrary git I insist all my bikes can go up as well as down. So, it won't be worked particularily hard with the seat up at full and probably won't have to do it all that often, so not too worried about the frame. Definately worth bearing in mind tho.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    But will it get out of the way when down?

What frame?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Northwind
    Last Herb... It'll go most of the way down, far enough that I'm happy with it (I was using a 400mm post in the horrible Ellsworth (*) so even though there's going to be more post showing when it's dropped, it'll still have a seat position fairly similiar. Haven't checked for wheel clearance yet either so it might be it wouldn't take a full drop anyway, need to take a look at that.

(* Old Ellsworth Dare for sale. Horrible. Roll up, roll up)
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Kaise
    Kaise Posts: 2,498
    Northwind wrote:
    Ah, excellent, guess the Gusset has to be on the cards then. Even if it is bloody Mark Anthony Bikes... Benpinnick, personally I reckon Thomson are a bit overrated but mainly, don't want to spend £50+ if I can ;)

You had problems with Mark Anthony? I was looking at their site the other day for a few bits but never used em before.......
  • Northwind
    Ah good, my innocent thread has turned into an opportunity to slag Mark Anthony Bikes. Worst shop I've ever used.

Went like this... Bought a stem, showing as in stock- last part I needed for a bike build. Bank account debited, waited a few days, didn't come. Emailed, "Yes it's dispatched, it'll be with you in a couple of days". No stem. Emailed again. "Must be delayed in the post, wait a few more days." No stem. Emailed again. "Oh well, we can raise a claim with royal mail but we need to wait a few more days." Wait a few more days. It starts snowing. Email again. "Well obviously the snow is disrupting everything!" The snow started 3 weeks after I ordered my "in stock" stem.

So, cancelled order, paypal claim (which paypal refunded me instantly on showing them the email chain), negative feedback. They email me and try to bribe me into withdrawing the negative feedback. I tell them to **** off.

There's a brilliant thread on STW with links of their ebay feedback, it's all like this.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Northwind wrote:

(* Old Ellsworth Dare for sale. Horrible. Roll up, roll up)

You're really selling it! :lol:
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I think there have been numerous threads on Mark Anthony bikes. None of them good.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Kaise
    Kaise Posts: 2,498
    Northwind wrote:
    Ah good, my innocent thread has turned into an opportunity to slag Mark Anthony Bikes. Worst shop I've ever used.

Went like this... Bought a stem, showing as in stock- last part I needed for a bike build. Bank account debited, waited a few days, didn't come. Emailed, "Yes it's dispatched, it'll be with you in a couple of days". No stem. Emailed again. "Must be delayed in the post, wait a few more days." No stem. Emailed again. "Oh well, we can raise a claim with royal mail but we need to wait a few more days." Wait a few more days. It starts snowing. Email again. "Well obviously the snow is disrupting everything!" The snow started 3 weeks after I ordered my "in stock" stem.

So, cancelled order, paypal claim (which paypal refunded me instantly on showing them the email chain), negative feedback. They email me and try to bribe me into withdrawing the negative feedback. I tell them to **** off.

There's a brilliant thread on STW with links of their ebay feedback, it's all like this.

its because they are from Buxton, everybody from buxton is backward - FACT!
  • styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    BBB Skyscraper which is 450mm long and £15. Its also pretty heavy.
    Shannon MTB Light, 430mm
    Some Ti ones on ebay at 470mm

I'd get a thomson though - fairly light and very strong.
  • RevellRider
    RevellRider Posts: 1,794
    Kaise wrote:
    its because they are from Buxton, everybody from buxton is backward - FACT!

My best mate is from Buxton and used to work for Mark Anthony's. This was over 12 years ago though, so no lynch mobs please!

Back on topic, the Gusset post seems to be nicely made and with it coming from Ison Distribution you should be able to pick it almost anywhere.

If you're built like me, I'd be tempted to steer away from it. I've ran 27.2mm post at 400mm long and there is a lot of flex and I've bent the odd few.
  • Northwind
    I'm more of a racing snake, been using a 400mm Next SL weightweenie post for ages (not really what most folks would recommend for fort william uplifts :lol: ) so not too worried about that. The seatpost shouldn't ever take a hit when it's extended after all.

Gusset it is, I think. Cheers folks!
    Uncompromising extremist